Catzwolf
WF-Section V1 just about completed!
  • 2003/2/11 7:50

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Just a note to say that WF-Section v1 (Xoops v3.8) will be due for release within the next week or so, and then I will be converting it to work on XOOPS v2 (Yes it does work on v2).

New features for WF-Section v1

Uploadmangement (Total new way dealing with files, you can use a image/file from anywhere on the server, without breaking it when you change directory config) and you can delete or rename them. (Killed the blank images for once and for all! )

Multiple uploads at once

User Submit article feature (With Html or XOOPS editor) and submitted articles are added to the waiting contents block, and added a new 'WF submitted' block.

Auto approve submitted articles, add expire date, change created date and the original created date can be retained.

Rate Articles.

Report broken downloads.

Added Top Ten and Popular links in the main menu,

Can choose the order display for each article (just like downloads etc).

You can choose to display articles, links, section images (sizeable), rated, votes etc

Images for new, updated and popular articles have been added.

External links can be given pseudo name (instead of using a 90 letter url )

NOTE: Can now add your own HTML pages wrapped into the WF-Section article and will look like part of WF-Section.

And I am in the process of finishing off the 'real' pages (instead of the stupid [page break] feature.

Other changes include cleaned up code, html and many small bug fixes (will give proper list when ready for download).

The XOOPS V2 version will have scripts to convert NSections, Sections etc to WF-Section.

Any Request for this last WF-Section for XOOPS 1? This is the time to do it as I will not be working on this XOOPS version after it is released!

IncommingForce
Re: WF-Section V1 just about completed!

really impressive !

cant wait for you release this version

like the new look of the wfsection sight, where did you find that theme ?

onokazu
  • 2003/2/11 11:17

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

Great, looking forward to the release as well as your newbb hack.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/2/11 11:24

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Cheers Kazu,

Just about nearly half way throu the coding the newbb 'enhancement'

Still looking for ideas that people would like to see in it

Catzwolf
  • 2003/2/12 2:41

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

I know many of you have ported to XOOPS v2 and playing with that, but I did expect some sort of feed back on this!

Ok, am I wasting my time with this version of WF-Section and should I just move straight to a XOOPS V2?

mktwain124
  • 2003/2/12 3:21

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

Hi Catzwolf,
Thanks for all your hard work on WF-Section. I've used it in the past and think it's a nice embellishment to the standard sections module.

Quote:
Catzwolf wrote:
Ok, am I wasting my time with this version of WF-Section and should I just move straight to a XOOPS V2?

I think that most XOOPS users have the intention of moving to X2 whenever possible, particularly when many things (like v1.3.* themes) will soon be deprecated. Unfortunately, it also seems that most v1.3.8 modules need considerable tweaking in order to work properly in X2, particularly to incorporate smarty templates. I can't speak for others, but I would be much more interested in an X2 version of WF-Section - partly so I can learn what changes to make on some of the other modules in order to get them to work with X2. Thanks again!

Catzwolf
  • 2003/2/12 8:03

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

mktwain124 wrote:
Hi Catzwolf,
Thanks for all your hard work on WF-Section. I've used it in the past and think it's a nice embellishment to the standard sections module.

Many thanks I love working on this module and the way it has grown in the last 2-3 months has amazed me (partly because I am new to php myself) and the fact that I still have many ideas I would like to add.

Quote:
I think that most XOOPS users have the intention of moving to X2 whenever possible, particularly when many things (like v1.3.* themes) will soon be deprecated.

I must admit that themes I do not have a problem with, if you know html/CSS (As I do) then in reality Xoops2 will give you freedom to express yourself now, without the hassle of say designing a full blown site. (Which, I do know about! :LOL:)

Quote:
Unfortunately, it also seems that most v1.3.8 modules need considerable tweaking in order to work properly in X2, particularly to incorporate smarty templates. I can't speak for others, but I would be much more interested in an X2 version of WF-Section - partly so I can learn what changes to make on some of the other modules in order to get them to work with X2. Thanks again!

Well I can say the one reason I have not moved my own site to XOOPS 2, is that I use so many customised scripts and modules and also many of the other modules are not yet V2, it maybe that some of them will never be. (WF included).

Never had/seen a reason to use smarty before, played around with it and I never seen a use for it, TBH XOOPS v2 could have used a template system without it (but lol).

So it will be interesting to see how to implement/work with it in WF-Sections myself.

I am now not sure whether to continue you with the XOOPS v1 module now, as it seems that all that work may now be in vain (as you say most will be moving on shortly) and it maybe a good enough reason for me too!

Many thanks for your answer

Bunny
  • 2003/2/12 9:43

• Bunny

• XOOPS Advisor

• Since: 2002/10/21

<post size=long>
WF-Sections is IMHO the best "Sections" in Xoops, plus the WYSIWYG editor and file-uploader are major selling points.

As I see it, the XOOPS sections module hasn't changed much in Xoops2, so most people who use WFS now will want to use it with xoops2. I have 2 websites that I cannot upgrade to Xoops2 without WFS-support.

Also, Xoops2 is - as even its authors say - not ready for production websites. Plus a lot of production websites depend on addon modules and cannot upgrade until all modules they need are available for Xoops2. Some never will.

Conclusion: Module authors, especially for important modules used in production websites (I think "Babe-a-day" is nothing mission-critical for most websites ) should not abandon the 1.3.x versions. Many of their users might not upgrade to Xoops2 for quite some time.

Hopefully it will not take too long before the documentation of the Xoops2 Core API is finished. That should make life much easier for module authors, especially if their modules are more than simple scripts with a "header.php" and "footer.php" slapped on...

(Maybe we should try and incorporate the ideas behind WF-Section into the Xoops-Sections? Might be worthy of collaboration once I get through my current documentation work...)

</post>

sunsnapper

Until the new Sections module planned for XOOPS 2.1 comes out... we will all be begging for WFSections for Xoops2.

I just played with the standard Sections module 5 minutes ago, and, I'm looking for something else now.

Tomorrow, I will spend the day putting some content in WFSections and see how it likes living on my Xoops2 site.

Thanks for your dedication to this module... I know it's a very popular one...

swisslyons
  • 2003/2/12 10:27

• swisslyons

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/23

hi Catz....

I am sticking with the version of WF section that I have running already on the one site that I have a lot content in...no sense stopping a running horse ;)

I think you should finish the final version for the 1.3x series XOOPS as you planned, like someone else said it may be a while until people actually upgrade and use XOOPS 2 (when it is officialy released) on production sites.

At any rate, thanks for your continued work on this excellent module!

You da man!

Cheers,
swisslyons

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits