JMorris
Re: The Wave of Change IS Upon Us!
  • 2007/4/17 14:07

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Sigh... I guess words of encouragement and hope are wasted here.

Simply put, in plain English with no fluff, or fun...

The developers have heard the request of the community to merge the two code branches of XOOPS. This is what they are working on now. Once the two branches are merged, they will return to working on future releases.

That is directly from Skalpa.

The community asked for news. I went and got that news and got permission to post that news. That is what you asked for, that is what I gave you.

<sarcasm>Gee, I can't imagine why the Core Devs don't post here anymore.</sarcasm>

And quite frankly, I'm ready to join them in their silence.

Good luck! and Goodbye!
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Lance_
  • 2007/4/17 14:15

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Here to stay chaps. Let's get the CHOO CHOO back on the rails.

GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

davidl2
  • 2007/4/17 14:23

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

James is just making the point that he's made an update that many people have been complaining about: "What's the development status?" and after giving this, people are still complaining.

Seems we just can't please everyone

Anyway - as I said previously.. thanks for the good news James. I know other improvements on the site, etc etc are underway - and I'm sure we'll be able to give this information out as it becomes available.

preachur
  • 2007/4/17 14:57

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

That's GREAT news!

I have a question for you: If the versions are going to merge would it be safe for me to build another site with 2.2? I have some sites built with 2.0.16 and we need to customize the registration forms without hacking the core. I could do that if I switched them to 2.2, but right now it looks impossible on 2.0.26. Any suggestions? Comments?

I for one have never lost faith in Xoops, although I did get frustrated once. :)

Mostly with all the complainers and naysayers.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

davidl2
  • 2007/4/17 14:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I would personally advise 2.0.16 - but the next version *may* (as I don't know yet ) provide some of the things that 2.2 has, that 2.0.16 doesnt...

wizanda
  • 2007/4/17 15:07

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Sorry to differ as always Davidl2, yet 2.2 is fine and what Wizanda uses for the same of user profiles....yet Davidl2 is right in advising all to stay with 2.1 as for me looking at all versions unsure how the DEV is planning to merge it all....yet me personally prefer it

davidl2
  • 2007/4/17 15:12

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I think - in cases where you have the option (ie, if you don't already run a 2.2 site) keeping with 2.0.16 would be easier.

But I'm sure that any advantages from the 2.2 branch will come into the new one in time.

aph3x
  • 2007/4/17 15:17

• aph3x

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2004/12/26

I really look forward to see this merge and i really really hope it'll be tested better and more so it won't follow the steps of 2.2.x which in my opinion was the biggest core release after 2.0 so my best of luck in your work and also please I hope it'll be tested by users aswell (and i mean just users) of 2.0.x and 2.2.x , and if any lack of testers I'm sure there are several willing to try and "break" it (me included).
Everything I'm not made me everything I am
The Themes

tom
  • 2007/4/17 16:27

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Thanks James for the update.

Quote:
It is discouraging to say the least when users are told to have patience.

It is, but unfortunately that is something which needs to be endured.

As you no doubt saw the recent post which was started by me, resulted in James stepping down and Herv leaving (not my fault but....), for this I apologise that was in no way my intention, however these things were on the horizon, and the time bomb was ticking on that one.

Since this I've spoken to James, David Bender and others, and have had some insight into the works going on behind the scenes, and be rest assured work is being done, and improvements are coming.

There are still things the community can do to keep us all moving, this includes end user support, developing themes and modules, reporting bugs, following the SVN and submitting code fixes/improvements.

I'm not saying that I agree with what has happened and is happening, but at least I now understand a little more.

I still love xoops, despite my concerns.

Quote:
The criticism is that users are not informed of the "behind the scenes"

This is what James is doing, with this post, he is informing you, although rather vague, I'm pretty sure there will be more to follow.

Quote:
The XOOPS community does not require a timetable until the next release, but a roadmap is desired and it gives comfort to know that XOOPS is proceeding forward.

To my understanding, a road map is on the horizon also.

I do agree it is rather disheartening to keep seeing this, we've lost some good developers, hopefully we'll recruit more, and some of those older ones will come back when they see XOOPS progress.

Basemen:

Quote:
read these numerous complaint threads that crop up nearly every day, or threads like Herve's or James' where people have "resigned" or "quit".

Mine wasn't a complaint thread, more a suggestion thread and an offer of help and support, or at least I'd like to see it that way.

Carnuke:

Quote:
You make this new version of XOOPS that is supposedly coming, to sound like a quick fix that will solve all the moans and groans that we suffer.

It's not a quick fix, more like a bridge if you wish, to being the two branches, 2.2 and 2.0.16 together, making a clear path forward for 2.3, also making it easier to support, and develop for, and of course then upgrade.

Quote:
Xoops is in an leadership and management crisis.

I couldn't agree more with this, and I feel the major contributor of that, is lack of and bad communication, its something thats hoepfully being addressed finally?

James:

Quote:
Sigh... I guess words of encouragement and hope are wasted here.

No there not, bare in mind not everyone reading this post will reply, not everyone will log in, and not everyone has read this yet.

Quote:
And quite frankly, I'm ready to join them in their silence.

Rise above it, James.

Quote:
I would personally advise 2.0.16 - but the next version *may* (as I don't know yet ) provide some of the things that 2.2 has, that 2.0.16 doesnt...

From my understanding of whats happening, the merge should bring some of the benefits of 2.2 and possibly a few more too, which could make 2.2 look antique (:wink:).

As for which benefits, I'm uncertain as of yet.

Now come on guys and gals, we asked for an update, we have one, it's not a fix, there is a long way to go, but hopefully this will be the start of better communications.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

preachur
  • 2007/4/17 17:40

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

I am really looking forward to it. I have to ask: Any idea of when we might see this?
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits