carpeweb
Web Links: link displays but does not redirect
  • 2007/4/4 22:38

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/12

I tested my first link in the Web Links module. It seems to display just fine. However, when I click on it to test whether the link works, I stay on a page in my own site (not the linked site):

http://hoahuntersrun.com/modules/weblinks/visit.php?lid=1

This is a blank page that opens in a new window/tab. The new window/tab seems to be the correct function for this module, but do I need to edit visit.php so that it redirects to the appropriate web site?

Thanks,
Jim

Also, I noticed a few minor cosmetic issues, with misspellings (managemnet for management in a few places, mostly in the admin screen, but one commnet field instead of comment field). Can I edit these just within the php files themselves?

gestroud
Re: Web Links: link displays but does not redirect
  • 2007/4/5 3:31

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on. Your weblinks module isn't set to allow anonymous access.

Which version of weblinks are you using? Have you installed the Happy Linux Frameworks module?

You can change the typos in the language folder. Back up the files first. Be really careful when you make changes, especially with quotation marks and apostrophes. Forget one, and you're screwed.

gestroud

carpeweb
  • 2007/4/5 17:03

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

I just modified the module and groups to allow anonmous users access to submit, etc. (I hope I checked all the relevant boxes.)

I'm using Web Links version 0.93. I believe Frameworks is installed, but I'm working through that in another forum. I have the Frameworks folder in the root directory, but I don't see anything about Frameworks in XOOPS Info or in the Admin control panel.

I'll worry about the typos later. Please let me know if you have access now.

Thanks,
Jim

gestroud
  • 2007/4/5 17:58

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Do you have the module set to display links in a frame in the preferences section? For some reason, that function doesn't seem to work anymore.

If you don't have the Happy Linux Frameworks module installed in your modules folder, you'll experience difficulties with the module.

Also, the weblinks module is up to version 1.41, which is a beta. You might want to upgrade to version 1.31, which is the latest stable version.

carpeweb
  • 2007/4/5 19:44

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

Well, to cut a long story short, I have upgraded to 1.31 and installed Happy Linux Frameworks -- I think.

I had to delete the old weblinks folder, because my host file manager would not let me copy files over the existing one.

I've had a few error messages from the main Web Links admin screen. One message said that a config table was not initialized, or something like that. I did not write it down, and then the message changed the next time I loaded the page.

Next it displayed, in a big red banner at the top:

Token Error
No valid ticket-stub pair found.

But I was able to navigate the various screens in Web Links admin. And the error message no longer appears.

Module Configuration 2 is a bit strange, since it is in the main index.php page but scrolled down beyond the first few screens. It took me awhile to figure that out, actually I found it from Module Configuration 3, which links to an anchor.

The module is set NOT to display links in a frame.

Anyway, now I have a new problem. When I click on the link category, I get an error page
Quote:

Not Found
The requested URL /viewcat.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.37 Server at hoahuntersrun.com Port 80

So, I'm lost on what to do next. I checked in the admin side to make sure the link exists, and the categories exist, so I don't see why the page is missing.

Thanks,
Jim

gestroud
  • 2007/4/5 20:43

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Try this:

1. Go into the weblinks module's admin section

2. Click on Command Management

3. Click "Create Config File."

4. Once that's been executed, click "Test execute for bin/link_check.php"

Next, go to Module Configuration 2

1. Scroll to the bottom

2. Click "Clear cache of Templates"

Then go into the Main XOOPS Module configuration page and update weblinks and happy linux.

Let me know what happens.

gestroud

carpeweb
  • 2007/4/5 21:40

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

I did all that (in that exact order) but I still get the same error, but I realized that part of the problem is a path error in the url.

instead of

http://hoahuntersrun.com/modules/weblinks/viewcat.php?cid=1

the url is just

http://hoahuntersrun.com/viewcat.php?cid=1

However, even when I type in the URL, I still don't see any links on the page. I get all the link navigation, but I can see when I mouse over them that they all point to paths at the root, not paths under /modules/weblinks.

So, where did I go wrong and point to the wrong path?

And even in weblinks, when I type the correct url, why are the links not showing? Is it related to the path?

While I'm on the subject of paths, there's no www. in mine -- is that something I can change in mainfile.php, or does it require more than that file? (the main site comes up when I use www.hoahuntersrun.com, but all other pages drop the www.)

Thanks,
Jim

gestroud
  • 2007/4/5 23:07

• gestroud

• Home away from home

I think I remember seeing that problem addressed on the module developer's forum. Take a peek here:http://linux2.ohwada.net/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=2 and see if the answer will help you. You may also want to post the problem on the forums there as well.

gestroud

carpeweb
  • 2007/4/6 1:00

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

You are correct, gestroud. Happy Linux forum does address the issue. I found this adviceQuote:

Go to admin panel
Under System Admin goto Preferences -> General Settings

Turn on "Check templates for modifications?"

Save go to your page and see if things are working correctly if they are then you can go back and turn the "Check templates for modifications ?" back off and you should be good.

Unfortunately, that does not solve the problem for me, even when I follow all of your steps plus those additional steps.

I did post the problem there, too, but since the solution seems to work for others and not for me, I think I probably have some other problem with my installation.

Thanks,
Jim

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits