kcnelson
Adding Links in the Main Menu
  • 2003/2/8 7:32

• kcnelson

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/8 7

I know this is a very basic question, but after searching my modules and blocks from the beta install from 2.0, I cannot find a way to add links to my pages in the main menu. Is there something that I have missed?

I have attempted to edit the blocks, but those don't seem to be the right ticket.

Your help is much appreciated!

masterw
Re: Adding Links in the Main Menu
  • 2003/2/8 9:18

• masterw

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/18

I´m only 12 yrs old, and i´m gonna tell you the answer:

- Go to the Modules Admin, Every Module that is numbered 0 is invissible, so number them 1 our something, just like the blocks!

Sorry for my bad english!!

MasterW (webmaster:http://www.up2grade.tk (X2 Too) )

w4z004
  • 2003/2/8 11:48

• w4z004

• XOOPS Advisor

• Since: 2001/12/13

you have 3 methods.

1 - disable the main menu block, create a custom html block and put here the links (simple html links)

2 - add the html links to the template of the main menu.

3 - a mix into the 2 let the main menu , and make a custom block with a tityle like extended menu or similar with the aditional links. (here in xoops.org you can see the "General" block that is a simple custom block with links.

PompeyScot
  • 2003/2/8 13:53

• PompeyScot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/9 1

Yep, I do this by following suggestion 1 in w4z004's posting. I completely disable the main menu and create a navigation system of my own using HTML links. Lovely

mktwain124
  • 2003/2/8 16:03

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

Quote:
w4z004 wrote:
add the html links to the template of the main menu.

This is perhaps the best feature of x2! In most cases, to change the visual presentation of a block, you will only need to modify [make a copy of the original template first ] the smarty template file for that block and not the x2 code itself. It's simpler to accomplish for non-PHP coders and it's safer-to assure compatibility with future upgrades. Great vision devs!

kcnelson
  • 2003/2/9 4:22

• kcnelson

• Just popping in

Hmmm...I get the idea now - thanks! However ----When I attempt to edit the template for my copy of the main menu, it only let's me view it (without a save option even in the pop up window). Also, after locating the file of:

system_block_mainmenu.html - Which I have located only in the directories of the system/templates and system/templates/blocks ...I attempted to do the change myself and it still doesn't want to add the items even after uploading it to the web site. The template file doesn't show the changes I made unless I am going into a different directory.

Could this be due to a permissions setting (I even chmod to 777 as a test).

In short, I want to create a menu using the exact same format that this site is using with the 'buttons' used exactly the same as they are here except with my own links of course. I am a complete novice when it comes to the smarty protocol so please forgive my ignorance.

Creating the secondary menu, or the menu with plain links is easy enough and I don't want to go there unless necessary.

X2 is the best I have seen yet after testing the 1.3 etc for a while. I have tried Postnuke, PHP nuke and others and this by far is blowing the doors off of them. I am planning on using this for a full site once the final release comes out.

sitekeep
  • 2003/2/9 11:32

• sitekeep

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/7 7

kcnelson,

Are you trying to edit the templates in the default theme? You cannot edit the default theme, clone it and then you will be able to edit the cloned theme.

I hope this helps....

kcnelson
  • 2003/2/9 17:06

• kcnelson

• Just popping in

I tried that - I believe I found an alternate by creating a rudimentary module system. Not what I wanted, but it at least creates the links in the same fashion as the main theme. For now, This will work.

Thanks for your help - If you know of any other fixes faster than this as my pages are already pre-assembled, let me know.

mktwain124
  • 2003/2/9 17:08

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

thanks, sitekeep...I forgot to include that part.

To summarize the procedure, clone the default theme with Admin Theme Manager ["Themes"]. In the Templates column of your cloned theme, click on System [LIST(22)], click on edit for system_block_mainmenu.html and add one of the following scripts either before the <tr> tag which puts your links before the regular menu items or after the </tr> tag which puts them at the bottom of the menu block:

[size=small]
<!-- 
Link to file on your site: -->
  <
tr>
    <
td id="mainmenu">
      <
class="menuMain" href="<{$xoops_url}>/path_to_your_file">Link Title</a>
    </
td>
  </
tr>

<!-- 
Link to outside url: -->
  <
tr>
    <
td id="mainmenu">
      <
class="menuMain" href="foo.bar.com">Link Title</a>
    </
td>
  </
tr>
[/
size]

kcnelson
Re: Adding Links in the Main Menu -
  • 2003/2/9 21:35

• kcnelson

• Just popping in

THANKS mktwain124!

This was the exact ticket I needed to get it up and working!

It is working like a charm now with the help of a little module template, it is great!

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits