makakazo
More documentaion and support
  • 2007/3/8 10:54

• makakazo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/11

I'm trying to develop a XOOPS module for my team webpage. It is "working" fine so far, but I've come to the point that I'm asking myself "is it worth the effort?", and it's not caused because of the time spent in the coding, but the uncommfortability caused by spending more time trying to find documentation about anything than coding the module itself.

It is absolutely amazing how there is so little documentation about module developing.

I'm not the brightest programmer ever, I would say I'm not even an experienced programmer, but I know my module would be over by now if I'd had documentation about how to use templates, use smarty and the basic XOOPS API documentation.

Should I start convincing my mates to switch over to another CMS only two months before starting using xoops?

What is the point in having and all-free open source extremely scalable CMS if you don't give your users the proper tools to work on it?

wizanda
Re: More documentaion and support
  • 2007/3/8 11:03

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

You know most of us in XOOPS community (who have been here awhile) also are sick of it and we mean and are doing things to fix it, many new sites are popping up to try and fill in the gaps....like XOOPS Documentation etc

makakazo
  • 2007/3/8 13:31

• makakazo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/11

Thanks for your answer. I'm using google now which is in its own way a pain. Is there a place where I can learn how to use templates so all the output by my module pass through a template file?

zyspec
  • 2007/3/8 13:33

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Agreed... this is clearly one of Xoops' biggest shortcomings. One resource I've found really valuable when trying to come up to speed is to use XoopsInfo. There's a menu across the top that lets you look at classes, functions, etc. and can really help you get "jump started". Unfortunately this hasn't been updated since 2.0.13.2 - so there have been some changes, but at least it gets you going in the right direction and I've found the differences are relatively easy to debug when a problem does occur.

Hope this helps...

iHackCode

i pm'd J about xoops.info. i too use it quite a bit.

i also use the wiki athttp://dev.xoops.org/modules/phpwiki/ . and there is also a pdf on module making. (that links to other things)
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=47217&forum=34

there are more.. likehttp://xoopsdocs.net (i think thats where all of the documentation from other documentation sites are going)
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Login

Who's Online

89 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 89

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits