barryc
Progress with Xoops 2.2.5, 2.3 and 2.4?
  • 2007/3/7 23:36

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I am wondering what progress is being made on the promised upgrades to XOOPS 2.2.5 and 2.3, and finally 2.4. My understanding is that 2.4 was to be the upgrade that allow the current 2.0.X path and the 2.2.X path to be finally merged again. I am one of the lost souls who upgraded to 2.2.4 way back before it was "withdrawn" as a recommended version. I did so because I needed the extra fields allowed in user profiles. I shudder at the thought of trying to downgrade to 2.0.16 and the profiles module that Mith produced for it.

Way back in November, when 2.0.16 was released, 2.2.5 was promised "in a few days". There has been no word since. Nor have any announcements about progress on 2.3 and 2.4 been made. I am becoming very concerned about the lack of progress and the lack of communication. Don't get me wrong. I am not an alarmist or a naysayer. I am a loyal XOOPS user. However, development seems almost frozen in time. The devteam.xoops.org site is now prohibited and there seems to be utter silence regarding work that might be being done. Is any work being done?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

vaughan
Re: Progress with Xoops 2.2.5, 2.3 and 2.4?
  • 2007/3/7 23:49

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

2.2.5 RC has been out since before xmas.

from what i gather there is a severe lack of people reporting issues and so on with the current 2.2.5 version, so inevitably that delays a final release even further.. solution is to keep submitting those bug reports and a final release will come a lot quicker.

2.3 will be released when it's ready for release.. the Alpha version was released months ago. but again, there is a distinct lack of people trying it and reporting on problems etc (altho it's alpha so there will be problems) i think the devs are working on it on their home PC's and doing the testing themselves which in itself is slowing progress down. that and other commitments etc.

but that's nopt to excuse the lack of communication, there's a few people who are pushing for the devs to give some feedback and progress reports, but how soon they will arrive is not something i can guess at.

i can say though it is being worked on, but they want it to be done right this time and refuse to be rushed into early releases in order to please a minority of eager users, which is understandable from past experiences.

barryc
  • 2007/3/8 0:46

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Well, I must first admit that I haven't been testing the 2.2.5 RC2 release. I did download it, but the devs having said in November that the final was to be released in a few days, I didn't go ahead and install it on my test server, currently running 2.2.4. I will be out of town now for over 3 weeks, but when I get back I'll do some testing if it's still needed.

I guess the main point is communication. If testers are needed, why not post a message calling for some volunteers? Or did I miss such a call? I'm no programmer, but I can certainly try a release and report on problems that I might experience. I have no problem in being patient and getting it right, but the lack of communication makes users wonder how viable XOOPS is. I don't want misunderstandings on that front any more than the rest of the dedicated users and developers.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Chappy
  • 2007/3/8 2:24

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I share barryc's concerns in all respects. I haven't seen any changes on sourceforge, either cvs or svn. I checked as of March 4. Maybe I'm missing something in where it's being kept now on sourceforge, but I didn't see it. I do try to test stuff as it comes out (as much as I can), and I do try to report bugs. A little feedback would be appropriate, I think.

With all respect and good wishes...
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

comflash2
  • 2007/3/8 5:13

• comflash2

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/1 1

Looks like more and more people concern about XOOPS development. This question already asked a few days ago, and Herko give some reply. Please check here : https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=57587&forum=8&post_id=254453#forumpost254453
Act Like Lightning FLASH

wizanda
  • 2007/3/8 9:02

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

My dev is going on, just upgraded all 2.2.5rc2 + modules to use includeq and foreachq.
Optimized it's MySql indexing loads.
Upgraded Smarty latest in 2.2.5rc2 and removed the extra internal, so only core running.
Upgraded Snoopy to later version.
Took phpmailer out of 2.0.16 and added it to 2.2.5rc2, for more security in later version.

Now I'm stuck as i am not a developer, to give this back to the community

blindman
  • 2007/7/9 17:40

• blindman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/26

Seems that a lot of people are useing 2.2 version, with all it's advantages, like themable admin, pm, profile, and so.
I realy hope that Myth will be in core dev team, so this branch to be developed to reunification.
I think, just because XOOPS have 2 branches now, and this must be developed to merge again, for keeping features, advantages and compatibilities, Mith should be arround here.
Don't follow me. I'm lost too.

gtop00
  • 2007/7/10 16:36

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

I Love this thread!

Quote:
blindman wrote:
Seems that a lot of people are useing 2.2 version, with all it's advantages, like themable admin, pm, profile, and so.
I realy hope that Myth will be in core dev team, so this branch to be developed to reunification.
I think, just because XOOPS have 2 branches now, and this must be developed to merge again, for keeping features, advantages and compatibilities, Mith should be arround here.

Any developer out there?
Quote:
wizanda wrote:
...Now I'm stuck as i am not a developer, to give this back to the community

debianus
  • 2007/7/10 20:35

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

About the opinions in core dev about this issue, read here and here

The next future
Quote:
Dj noted that the short-term plan is to make release of 2.0.17 and 2.2.5 versions, build a technical group for all xoops.org sites, build a news group, build a documentation team and set up documentation site.

Dj suggested that marcan leads the 2.0.17 release. marcan accepted this role.
Dj suggested that Dave_L leads the 2.2.5 release. Dave_l accepted.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits