MadFish
Re: How to Switch back to Xoops
  • 2007/2/21 5:23

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Last year I somehow ended up with a messed up database - data in the wrong database columns! However it was a consistent error, so I got a MySQL book and wrote a query that put everything in the right place. So, I think there is some hope for your site yet, if you take a careful look at the database fields

GXCori
  • 2007/2/21 8:19

• GXCori

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/15

Thanks all, these are great suggestions! I'm looking through to see which is most comprehensible to me so that I can attempt to do it myself.

I'm treading very slowly as I'm terrified of ruining the site, lol. I will be making back ups, as suggested, but I'm still quite verified.

GXCori
  • 2007/2/25 0:41

• GXCori

• Just popping in

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Last year I somehow ended up with a messed up database - data in the wrong database columns! However it was a consistent error, so I got a MySQL book and wrote a query that put everything in the right place. So, I think there is some hope for your site yet, if you take a careful look at the database fields

Oook. I had a bad case of salmonella poisoning so I'm behind on EVERYTHING. This little task included. But can someone point me in the right direction to get started on doing this myself? David has offered some support as all of you have. But I'd WOULD like to try to do it myself. <crosses fingers> But am not sure where to start. Got a few PhP books lying around and took a class or two but it was a beginner class so I don't know what I know.

Thanks all

Chappy
  • 2007/2/25 2:54

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

So,this is what I would probably do. Just me. I can't promise any further help nor is there any warranty that it will work. But, I would first begin by backing up your public_html directory (or whatever your default web directory is) is and everything underneath it. Then, back up your database. Do not proceed further unless you've backed up. Then, close your site (except for you as webmaster, of course). At that point, I would try to overwrite all your files with the 2.0.13 files. After you overwrite your files, try to update your install (Log in as admin then go to Admin|Modules|and update System). Clear your cache directory and your templates_c directory. Clear your browser cache. See what happens. If that is okay (at least as far as the core XOOPS functions), then I would proceed further.

After that was done I would follow the rest of the upgrade path for xoops core and upgrade to 2.0.14, then use the 2.0.14_to_2.0.16 upgrade patch (make sure and run the upgrade scripts in those .

As you upload and update, make sure to clean out the cache directory, the templates_c directory, and the browser cache.

At that point, after your core is all upgraded and functioning, you can turn to upgrading modules to newer versions (if possible / if necessary). You should get the latest version possible of your modules. Go module by module, updating (Admin|modules|update) each module after your system upgrade. See how they do.

Then, where possible, get a newer version of your modules and try to get it working. Go step by step. Core, then modules. I suspect that most of Catz's changes were in the code, not as much in the core database structure (though I may be wrong).

For modules that are not functioning (in the worst case scenario) you may have to go to phpmyadmin (you do have access to this, right? If not, I wouldn't mess with this on my own - none of this) and compare the tables for the non-functioning modules with tables in newer versions. Where you have fields in a module's tables that are roughly the same, you can copy the fields from your database backup (sql) and paste them into the fields in the new module (for instance, copy the article title from wf-sections to the article title in SmartSection, etc). The point here is that I suspect the major hindrance (as noted above) is that it is the database fields (with name changes, datatype changes, etc) will present the biggest problems. Some of us have older versions of catz's modules (though I think I inadvertently got rid of all my copies) if you need help finding an old module.

Good luck. This is probably the most help I can give.

That's what I would do. I am not suggesting it in your case. Do it at your own risk.

By the way, I hope you continue feeling better...
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

Catzwolf
  • 2007/2/25 13:38

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Actually please don't comment on anything that you know nothing of Jim ok. Comments like this is what caused me to leave XOOPS in the first place. I did not leave her in the lurch, she felt it was best that we parted company not the other way around.

JMorris
  • 2007/2/25 13:51

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

John,

If that is the case, then I apologize for my comments. They were not appropriate.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Catzwolf
  • 2007/2/25 14:35

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Apology Accepted.

GXCori
  • 2007/2/25 23:27

• GXCori

• Just popping in

Ok at the risk of further incurring Catz's wrath, I did not come here to start drama. I came asking for help. Seeing as he was rather upset about the posts here this morning and called to tell me so, I want to be clear to him (because he's now refusing to listen to me, thinking I must have said something to cause comments like that) and to everyone. I'm not trying to step on his toes, didn't imply anything other than he's unable to work on my site anymore.

I've not bad mouthed him. He has things to do and needs to focus on those things and I'd like to learn how to do this myself. I'm appreciating the advice and am reading and testing so I can get this done on my own. Please lets not turn this into a bickering session. I know James and Catz have made nice, but I've heard lots of not so nice things about Catz NOT posted here, but I don't feel the need to go into detail nor should his personal life or ethics come into play here. It's also not my job to defend him either. So if you feel the need to say what you wanna say about him, then I can't stop you, but I will not be gossiping back either. I have no comment on the subject. He and I have our differences, but I've never bad mouthed him. So...let's keep on topic here. Thank you all for your advice I'll be keeping you apprised of my progress and still asking for help. My offer of sharing code still stands for anyone that can spare a little help, when I get stuck. Just be aware I'm still a noob and a lot slower at this than all of you, so bare with me.

GXCori
  • 2007/2/25 23:35

• GXCori

• Just popping in

Quote:

MadFish wrote:

And thanks Mad, I'm looking through books and sites now. I don't think it impossible just like to know where to start, lol!

JMorris
  • 2007/2/25 23:49

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

GXCori,

Thank you for posting the above. Regardless of anyone's feelings about Catz (John), this thread is about helping you. We should stay on that topic and not bother you (either in this thread or through PM) with our opinions about the aforementioned person.

With that being said, when I've had to do very difficult migrations, a tool that was indespensible was phpMyAdmin. I say this because you will need to match not only content, but field-type (i.e.: varchar, text, tinyint, etc...). In the hands of an experienced DBA, you could script this, but if all else fails, you can compare the tables between the "experimental" module and the "supported" module and migrate the data that way. There will be some SQL data conversion necessary, but it's simple enough to Google how to achieve this. It's tedious, but doable.

HTH.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

266 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 266

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits