jilong
Can database convert from MySQL to SQL
  • 2007/2/16 8:27

• jilong

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/10

Is that possible for me to host the database with MS-SQL?

if i use a database convertor to convert MySQL to SQL and host it in MS-SQL database, can the site work fine?

do i need to do any changing to do this convertion?

rabideau
Re: Can database convert from MySQL to SQL
  • 2007/2/16 12:02

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

You will nee to verify that all the code within the system works with MS SQL server. My guess is you will get to re-write much of XOOPS database calls
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

jilong
  • 2007/2/28 1:39

• jilong

• Just popping in

XOOPS database calls? hmm...do you have any ideal where where / which type files i need to change the call?

JMorris
  • 2007/2/28 3:09

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

jilong,

I want to preface what I'm about to say with the statement that I am not a DBA or even remotely a skilled DB coder. I've tinkered with both MySQL and MS-SQL, but the basics is about as much as I know.

That being said... I can tell you that any kind of "on the fly" DB conversion is a bad idea. This adds a layer of complexity and server load that will slow your site down and offers little to no benefit.

From what I understand of the two DB engines, the primary difference between the two is syntax. With that in mind, you would think that it would be simple enough to convert XOOPS to MS-SQL, but it is not. It's not just the core XOOPS application you have to be concerned with, but also modules. Most "full-featured" modules have their own DB functions and calls. Therefore, you're in for a lot of code hacking if you want to use MS-SQL.

A better solution, IMHO, if you do not have MySQL support, is to seek a free or paid MySQL DB server host. There are providers out there who specialize in just providing DB hosting (not including web files like a traditional host). You could try searching for "MySQL database hosting", "free MySQL hosting", "free database hosting", etc... in Google and you will come up with several results. This will allow you to use XOOPS with its native MySQL support without adding additional load to your server and page load times. One such service is FreeMySQL.net. This is by no means an ideal situation, but it will get you by until you can arrange a better setup.

Hope this helps!
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

jilong
  • 2007/2/28 3:53

• jilong

• Just popping in

Actually i did request to host with MySQL hosting, but they insis want to host by own server which with out MYSQL, and the up person said "MYSQL is for secondary student use, due with policy we are not using it"

what can i do? i only can try to hack as much as i can ...my due date is next week...

Chappy
  • 2007/2/28 7:13

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I agree with what JMorris said:

Get a new host.

Your host does not have the features you need to run xoops. Hosting can be very cheap, free even. MySQL is so commonplace now that you shouldn't feel bound by a host who won't install it for you. If they can't help you on this, you can expect even greater "helpfulness" in the days ahead.

As JMorris said, changing all the core code and module code to make that switch is an enormous undertaking.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

MadFish
  • 2007/2/28 7:30

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
Actually i did request to host with MySQL hosting, but they insis want to host by own server which with out MYSQL, and the up person said "MYSQL is for secondary student use, due with policy we are not using it"

You could try showing them the cost of hosting commercially (say, $1 month) against the cost of buying a server, plus hiring someone that can maintain it (very high).

It is quite common for IT department to say 'we need our own server' but is usually it is not true if it is just running a website.

Good luck with your management

Login

Who's Online

99 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 99

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits