rabideau
Re: 30 Themes in 30 Days
  • 2007/2/9 3:52

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Hi James,

Are you interested in taking some code contributions to help???

I'll happily donate my base liquid/wireframe css materials to your project.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

MadFish
  • 2007/2/9 5:30

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
The Objective

I’m going to create 30 designs in 30 days covering a wide range of topics. There will be only 1 Generic template (i.e.: suitable for a wide range of applications). This 1 Generic template will serve as the framework that I build the remaining 29 themes from.

Good on you, this has been needed for a long time. Thanks for sorting it out.

blueteen
  • 2007/2/9 7:25

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/16

Go Go Go JMorris !
another of coffee !

JMorris
  • 2007/2/9 13:07

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Mark,

Thank you for your offer; however, the requirements for this project eliminate the usage of advanced themes such as your wireframe project.

Quote:
The first requirement is that the current “Default” XOOPS theme be used as the basis for the Generic framework theme. The limitation is that any XHTML/CSS/SMARTY modifications must be achievable by the average XOOPS user.

The goal is to show what the "Average" XOOPS user can achieve with XOOPS in just a few hours, with average XTHML/CSS/Smarty skills.

I would like to look more into your wireframe project, but that will have to be on another project.

Off to get more coffee now.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Will_H
  • 2007/2/9 13:21

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Woah.

Best of luck to you!

JMorris
  • 2007/2/12 0:52

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Moving forward, but with a slight change in plans...

I had just finished up the first theme of the 30 themes in 30 days when I initiated a conversation with Skalpa over IM. Skalpa raised some very valid points about this project that I had to consider closely.

The basic gist is that he felt it best for me to use the new default theme as my basis for this project instead of the old default theme currently bundled with XOOPS. The rational is that it does not benefit XOOPS or XOOPS users to produce 30 themes based on a theme that is 4 years old and will soon be obsolete.

I have to admit that my feelings were mixed about this. I wanted to show users what they could do with what is bundled with the current release in just a few hours. However, Skalpa's points were sound and made good sense. After all, why release 30 designs that will be obsolete in the very near future? If we are going to show what the average XOOPS user can do, why not put our best foot forward, not our worst.

So, what's the best solution to this issue? The new default theme won’t be bundled with XOOPS until the next release. However, users can download the new default theme via SVN, so it is readily available.

I've decided to concur with Skalpa and use the new default theme. The compromise is that I will rename the old default theme to olddefault on my demo site and I will upload the new default theme so users can have a benchmark to measure from. I will also include the generic theme I had made based off of the old default theme as another point of reference. I'll call this theme 'bluehue' based on its obvious tones of blue in the design. I will release the ‘bluehue’ theme as well, but it will not be counted in the 30 themes in 30 days, so count it as a little bonus.

This course change has set me back by a few hours, but I feel that, overall, this will be more beneficial for XOOPS users as a whole. If you want to view the progress of this project, you can view the live demo athttp://pkbcs.com/demo/

Please do not attempt to register on the demo site, as its sole purpose is to demonstrate the themes I'm working on.

So, with all of the above said, it's back to the drawing board for me. Expect the release of the 'Generic' theme by the end of the day February 12th (GMT -5).
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Will_H
  • 2007/2/12 1:15

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

bluehue is looking gorgeous!

I am especially inspired by your code and quote boxes.

MadFish
  • 2007/2/12 2:08

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I like your hanging indented bullet points. Yay! The non-indented ones have always bothered me.

rabideau
  • 2007/2/12 2:29

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

removed and moved to a new topic...
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

JMorris
  • 2007/2/12 2:34

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

rabideau,

I just finished uploading the "new default" theme tohttp://pkbcs.com/demo/ from SVN. You can view the "new default" theme by selecting "default" from the Themes block.

I'm going to have to work with this new theme some before I can express any views on it. Let's see how it goes.

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits