jegelstaff
Article Module vs. Xpress (Wordpress for XOOPS)

Hello,

Can someone help me out here? What are the key differences between Xpress and the Article module, both managed by phppp? Is Xpress the top choice if you just plain need a blog? And Article is intended for all other uses? I'm just trying to figure out why these somewhat similar modules are being so actively maintained, by the same person/team.

Of course, installing and checking out the modules would help. And I plan on doing that very shortly. But I thought I'd ask for comments here as well, to see what people have to say.

Thanks very much,

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

jeffgr
Re: Article Module vs. Xpress (Wordpress for XOOPS)
  • 2007/1/31 17:59

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Hi,

I think you hit the nail on the head...when you said that you need to play around with each module more in order to get a better feel for what features each has to offer, and what the experience is like in using each. I can tell you that there are other things to consider as well, such as, who is going to be using the blog in the end. If I or someone else who is very familiar with web design was going to be using the blog, I would install the WordPress module in Xoops, and use that. However, if this blog is destined for a client, who might not be so technically inclined, I would might use the Article module... as it can be customised (on the admin side) to be more user-friendly, more easily. I once created a blog for someone using XOOPS & the Xpress module...and I ended having to redo the site (in just Wordpress, not the Xpress module, but the standalone sofware), as it was too confusing for the client in the end. Not that the WordPress back-end was confusing itself, but the fact that there were two back-end admin sections...one for Xoops, and one for XPress... it was overwhelming for this person, and very confusing. As well, there is a bug that occurs sometimes where, you first have to be logged into XOOPS to access the Xpress module, but sometimes it forces you to login through the Xpress admin as well (dual logins). Or, it boots you out of one admin section or the other...and the person has to keep logging in. We might be able to figure it out, or chock it up to a minor and occasional annoyance, but to a client it means that site is "broken", and I can understand that viewpoint.

WordPress does have a huge community of plugins and themes that you can use however... so that is another bonus over the Article module, if you need those features. If not, then it's not really relevant.

If you just want to have a blog, that isn't nessesarily connected to the rest of your site, you can still pull the content from WordPress to appear in a XOOPS block.

I hope my ramblings make some sense?

J.

jegelstaff
Re: Article Module vs. Xpress (Wordpress for XOOPS)

Thanks for the info, that is very helpful! Client usability is key in this case, so we will focus on Article.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits