kwaltman
CBB 232 Questions
  • 2007/1/5 5:42

• kwaltman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/19

Is there anyway to have CBB 232 jump to the first new post in a thread when user rereads that thread?

Currently if a thread lets say has 8 old posts and 2 new posts (relative to the specific user checking), the user has to scroll down to find the new Posts. Is there any type of cookie or database setting that can be set to remember the last read post in each thread and jump to first new post down the page?

Related to this, when I try to upgrade my CBB 232 install to CBB 307, my entire site goes blank right after uploading the files to the NEWBB module folder.

Once I restore from my CBB 232 back up, my site comes back up. I was trying to upgrade to see if the feature I am asking about above is included in the newer version.

I am running 2.2.5rc2 and have followed the instructions for upgrading CBB under 2.2.X.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kev

TheCleric
Re: CBB 232 Questions
  • 2007/1/6 2:45

• TheCleric

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/26

I don't think the feature is included in the update.

The forum already records which posts are read, but it takes a little bit of code to turn that into a link the user can follow.

I'm new here, but if nobody posts a "right" solution, I will give mine.

kwaltman
  • 2007/1/6 6:11

• kwaltman

• Just popping in

Thanks, that would be great.

TheCleric
  • 2007/1/7 8:34

• TheCleric

• Just popping in

I don't have 232, but it works with 308.

Changed files found here, simply replace the default files with the ones in the zip.
update.zip

It turns the folder icon (default dark envelope) for new posts into a link to the first post after the last post you read.

makakazo
  • 2007/1/11 11:54

• makakazo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/11

Quote:
kwaltman wrote:
Is there anyway to have CBB 232 jump to the first new post in a thread when user rereads that thread?

Currently if a thread lets say has 8 old posts and 2 new posts (relative to the specific user checking), the user has to scroll down to find the new Posts. Is there any type of cookie or database setting that can be set to remember the last read post in each thread and jump to first new post down the page?

I'm using CBB 3.04 and I have the exact same question. We have a forum with a lot of activity so it's a must have if you want to quickly get to where you left the conversations. We have just moved from a phpbb forum to a full XOOPS site, including the CBB/newbb forum, and it is a feature that almost all boards have, so we are a bit confused now. I've tried looking into the code, but I don't have enough php knowledge to figure out where everything comes from...

I have also noticed that there's an automatic "quote" button in this forum that doesn't exist un CBB 3.04. Was it custom programmed or is it going to be an addition in a future release?

Anonymous
  • 2007/1/11 14:24

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
I have also noticed that there's an automatic "quote" button in this forum that doesn't exist un CBB 3.04. Was it custom programmed or is it going to be an addition in a future release?

In CBB 3.07, if you go to the post that you want to quote and hit the reply button, you'll see the Quote button at the bottom of the form.Is this case with CBB 3.04?

Not ideal as it makes it a two-click rather than one-click operation but, nonetheless, it is there.

I see that there's an update to CBB 3.08 with associated Frameworks and and xoopseditor updates. Anyone done this yet? I think that one of the bug-fixes is to the "View new posts" function - in CBB 3.07 it shows all posts.

HTH

TheCleric
  • 2007/1/12 0:45

• TheCleric

• Just popping in

yes, that is fixed in version 3.08, but there still isn't an official link to the first unread post.

Still, I have tried my update listed above on a couple of sites and haven't run into any problems yet.

It just requires a couple of files to be replaced (one php file which creates the link, and then a modification to the template to display it)

Of course, there's no warranty and it hasn't been approved by anyone.

kwaltman
  • 2007/1/15 18:01

• kwaltman

• Just popping in

I tried the upgrade.zip file and it left me with a blank page. This is the exact same problem I am having when I try to upgrade from 232. I upload all the new files to the existing directory structure, and then after that that module is completely blank. Over-write it my backup, and the module comes right back online.

Is there any type of upgrade script, or other files (changes) that have to be in place in order to upgrade?

The only changes I have made to the my 232 version was to add integrated spell checking, but the new version overwrites those files anyway, so that can not be the problem. I guess that first order of business is to figure out why the upgrade fails before I try to move on to anything else.

kwaltman
  • 2007/1/16 1:51

• kwaltman

• Just popping in

Well I managed to finally migrate from 232 to 308. I turned the PHP Debugging on and found a problem with my Framework files that I fixed. One this was done now 308 works on my site.

Then I had to go back and add my custom code for the spell checker. So far everything looks good.

But the jump to newest post patch didnt seam to work. When I apply it, it makes the read status on everything appear alread read. If I put the original 308 files back in place then the read status becomes correct again.

Any ideas?

TheCleric
  • 2007/1/16 20:34

• TheCleric

• Just popping in

It assumes that you are using the database to store reads.

My guess is that you have it set for cookies.
The option is in plugin.php in the include folder.

If you are using cookies and want it to stay that way, I will whip up a cookie version.

Login

Who's Online

266 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 266

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits