icvanstra
Choosing a Forum
  • 2007/1/11 16:15

• icvanstra

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/11

Good morning,

My website has been up and running for about 1.5 years. Recently starting looking into adding a forum to it and settled in on phpBB.

But, phpBB wasn't going to let me do the upgrades to the website that I have planned ... which got me looking at around some more and eventually got me looking at using a CMS of which I finally settled on xoops.

Where have CMS's been my entire life?? ...they are the answer to nearly all of my website issues. Well...at least for now!

The first issue I'm having though is choosing the MOD for a forum.

Went looking through the discussions on the various MODs of phpBB, i-bb, and such...even looked at the newBB and CBB.

The conversations lead to two general themes:
1) the non-xoops BB's are the most feature rich - but are very restrictive to the version of XOOPS that they work with
2) the XOOPS written BB's are not as feature rich - but work with the new versions of xoops

3) ...and it appears that none of them work with the latest version(s) of xoops.

So...what is my ultimate question?

Could someone recommend a combination of BB and version of XOOPS that will provide the best stability and features.

What have you guys settled in on??

Thanks,
eric

phppp
Re: Choosing a Forum
  • 2007/1/11 16:24

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

1) the non-xoops BB's are the most feature rich - but are very restrictive to the version of XOOPS that they work with

What are the problems with those BB's in terms of latest XOOPS? To my knowledge, most of current popular forums have bridge with XOOPS, at least "working"

Quote:

2) the XOOPS written BB's are not as feature rich - but work with the new versions of xoops

What are the desired features not in the XOOPS BB's?

Quote:

3) ...and it appears that none of them work with the latest version(s) of xoops.

Confusing with 2)...

icvanstra
  • 2007/1/11 17:04

• icvanstra

• Just popping in

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

What are the problems with those BB's in terms of latest XOOPS? To my knowledge, most of current popular forums have bridge with XOOPS, at least "working"

For example X-IPB v1.4Ha states that will work only with version 2.0.10 of XOOPS

For example X-phpBB v1.23a states that it will work with XOOPS 2.0.9.2 (v1.23b does not show that it was updated for a new version of XOOPS)

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

What are the desired features not in the XOOPS BB's?

I don't know what features are not in the XOOPS BB's (newBB2/cbb). I've never set up a BB style forum before and am looking for recommendations from this group. Additionally, my comment was based upon what I read in each of the comments sections for each of the listed MODs and not upon my own actual experience.

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

Confusing with 2)...

I'll admit...confusing to me too! If I'm reading thing correctly CBB 1.x is for XOOPS 2.0.x and CBB 2.x is for XOOPS 2.2.x ... since the developers recommend sticking with XOOPS 2.0.x there is no reason to consider CBB 2.x

Since CBB was the continuing development of newBB and now there is a newBB 2 but it has not been updated since May 2005 (or is that the date first posted and updates don't increment that date...)

....another way to look to answer the question would be: What is used on www.xoops.org ? I'm willing to give that a try....definitely can try out what the developers choose to use !!

Many thanks,
eric

Lance_
  • 2007/1/11 20:20

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Basically there is a crossroad.

Features vs limited features.

If you want features then CBB v3.08(native to XOOPS core) or SMF(Bridged, no hacking of core files) are viable.
If you don't need features, look at NewBBex.

All forums will function under the latest XOOPS 2.0.16.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

icvanstra
  • 2007/1/11 22:27

• icvanstra

• Just popping in

Amazingly easy to set up!!!

Since I don't know what I ultimately want out of the BB...I chose features as my fork in the proverbial road.

Went with "native to XOOPS core" path and chose CBB3.08.

A little under 3 hours and I got the dependancies installed and CBB 3.08 up and running. ...could of been a little faster if that pesky boss hadn't wanted to call an impromptu meeting instead of letting me play with something personal

Now it's time to kick the tires...

THANKS phppp as well!!

later,
eric

Will_H
  • 2007/1/12 1:51

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

@phppp - I will be really honest with ya. The reason that ipb and other boards are so popular is because they give each and every user the ability to customize it easily. Through the use of add on MODS (arcade, bank, ->AUC<. As well as about 2000 additional Mods scattered across the net.

The idea behind it is that users have the ability to easily do this, which is why these boards are so popular (and why they grow)

I have no issue with the XOOPS Based BB, except that it is really not very feature rich.

Take this for example.

Currently I run an evo site with phpbb boards integrated. I am able to addon things like youtube embed button, banks, reputation mods. etc.

A BB is about community, and a community needs something to keep them occupied.

xIPB is another option (available from bbpixel.com) - I am a fan of the IPB boards because of how familiar they are to the masses. As well as the ability to addon MODS

Login

Who's Online

142 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 142

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits