mesol
Suitable module
  • 2006/6/27 8:25

• mesol

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/19

i want to create like announcement/news like xoops.org homepage and want to attach image in it.

what kind of module i should use?

is it official module:news 1.44 can make it?

andycleff
Re: Suitable module
  • 2006/6/27 13:42

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/29

There are many ways to do the "announcement" block.

Some are "manual" and don't change - others change automatically when new content is posted in a module or modules.

So the solution for you depends more on what exactly you need.

Anyway, here are a few alternatives for you to explore.

1. Custom block
You can create a custom block that will hold any content you want. Image, text, both. HTML. We use them for content that does not need to change much. General welcome text, mission statements, etc. On the XOOPs.org site it think the "Welcome to the Official XOOPS website!" block is a custom block with static content.

2. Module Block
On the XOOPs.org site, the "Latest XOOPS news" is most likely a "recent news" block of the News module. On the home page of the site, this block automatically pulls the title and article intro from the most recent news module posting. This block is also configure to show recent article titles from specific categories of news articles.

3. Cross Module Block
There is also a module called "What's New" which looks at other modules and pull recent postings and lists them. The What's New module has many admin configs so admin can control which modules it pull from, how it summarizes content ect.

Hope this helps.
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

mesol
  • 2006/6/27 15:08

• mesol

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/19

thanks dude.

and i want another favor.

if i use xmline by phppp, i have to use rss feed rite?

so, if i develop a blog and take the rss for my news module using xmline..

is it the image that i uploaded within my content also appear?

andycleff
  • 2006/6/28 20:23

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/29

dunno.
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

fungus
  • 2006/12/28 9:37

• fungus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/10/15

ok, here is something a little more left field....

I want to do a custom block, but only have it appear in the centre when a link is clicked (ie I have a custom menu bar up the top) so I want to know how to call the module to display.

Any ideas? as I don't want to display all info like about us etc on the main page until the user selects to view it and then that is the only thing they see.

Any help appreciated....
Hmmm... Why do I have so many screws left over?

carnuke
  • 2006/12/28 10:00

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Whey not try Popup generator

You should be able to position the popup to open in the page centre.

If you dont like popups, then you could try making an iframe in a centre block, then targeting your link content to open in that iframe. Again it has drawbacks, as the content can be viewed outside your site, if a search engine crawls it.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

fungus
  • 2007/1/7 1:59

• fungus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/10/15

Many thanks... I actually stumbled on a "think outside the square" idea...

I installed the tutorial module... renamed it etc... created a menu item through imenu module so it calls the "tutorial" (aka static content) with option to add the content as another web page (if you set it as to open oin iframe) with option to view that page in a new window and etc etc... I had to edit one file so that customers could not go to my menu of "tutorials"

I will post a link here later once site is up.

Regards
Brian

Ah what the hell... have a look if you want already

Look mainly at the about and a couple of other menus I have hard wired that is what points to the content so it can be easily edited as a "TUTORIAL"
And yes the site is not yet completed.... no suggestions please as the person who requested the site has enough suggestions to keep me busy for the next decade

Oh and Chris, if you read this.. .HI!
Hmmm... Why do I have so many screws left over?

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits