preachur
Changing Usernames
  • 2006/12/24 3:23

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Is there a way to allow users to change their usernames?
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

skenow
Re: Changing Usernames
  • 2006/12/24 3:47

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Currently, the user side does not allow editing of the username. It can be done on the admin side. To allow edits from the user side would require hacking the edituser.php. Or, you could install the Membership module and you can choose which fields can be viewed and edited by each group.

preachur
  • 2006/12/24 3:51

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

So THAT'S what the membership module is for. I've had it installed for awhile, but have never used it.

preachur
  • 2006/12/24 3:58

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

I set permissions, but it still doesn't allow editing. Once again, I am feeling like the membership module is worthless. Also, more often than not these days I am getting this error in version 2.0.16 = [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Anyone else seeing that?

preachur
  • 2006/12/24 6:56

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

oooooo.... did I say something bad? Or did everyone go away for christmas? Notice my lack of capitalization of that word. Capitalization.... Now that's a word I'll bet a bunch of people apply to me.... BUT I think you should really talk to me before you condemn me as a capitalist. I've been homeless, travelling for 17 year and now what I am doing I do for Tribe Family and Earth. I have an opportunity here. I think it will help everyone. Yes, I am stupid, but so are aa lot of people. At leaast I'm trying.

Here's my edit/ I am not a preacher. It's PREACHUR with a U.

Don't know why I think you'd care. but if i write anymore it will be bad.

wizanda
  • 2006/12/24 10:13

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

I do care and will help as we are one the same, if you look... sorry for the later reply....

Ok problem with the user name change is it is also stored for security in Xoops...

As having main user name's showing and actual names is for the password also and name....

In XOOPS 2.2.5rc2 it is more functional in terms of Admin for users and additional multiple fields (~There Was Many Problems to begin with new ideas, yet works ok now).....

There are new modules to fill in these gap's of 2.2 additional user support in admin ....

Yet still only letting people change their display name in it....which for the most is what you need.....

As if you got someone manage to cross refrence names and passwprd, they could change untill they get in....

When XOOPS registers it also checks for user names in use....

Unsure how much it does if names are changed, as you would need a new process to check at the time, if the name is in use....

I do this by going into the MySql Admin and changing the one's needed....

It is far safer and then only Admin has control....

Yet for display names like you see on most things in 2.2.5rc2, that can be changed by the day by end user.....

Have a look around our site and you can see which modules display a display name and which user name....

Anyways even with Capitals we Care

skenow
  • 2006/12/24 15:26

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

There is a members module and a membership module. You need the membership module. To echo what Wizanda was saying - the XOOPS username is forced to be unique. The Membership module does not do this, so you could end up with a mess. I know you have a lot of users you have imported and your old usernames were their email addresses, but I don't think there will be an easy way to correct that. Theoretically, have duplicate usernames can work, since XOOPS really uses the userid for its checking. You would have to test this carefully before allowing it.

Login

Who's Online

161 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 161

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits