jordi_rc
How control panel appearance works. Need help to make a hack
  • 2006/11/29 22:34

• jordi_rc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/8/21

Hello.

I am using XOOPS 2.0.15.

I find the admin control panel is a bit confusing, so I am trying to make a hack on it.
I need to know what I am doing. I will try to guess it, but if some experienced programmer in php or some XOOPS developer may help me to answer these questions I will not smash my brain so much.

If I can do something simple and good, I will post my work to the XOOPS community.

I would like to:

1) Add some image buttons to most used system functions in the control panel home. Like groups, users, modules... so they can be clicked directly and make it more friendly

2) Be able to modify the modules list. I find I need to admin some modules very often (like per example the forum) and some not so often (like liaise, per example).
It is a bit confussing to look for them in that long vertical list.

It seems that modules are displayed by install order. In addition they all have similar icons.

I know I could change the icons.I changed the modules icon that I don't use so often to grey, to be able to separate them visually from the others.

But what I would like to do is generate another page just with the icons, and name of module. And maybe add a parameter the way "Active" is -with checkbox- so the module is added to this page of "most used modules"

I don't know if I am explaining well my idea.

Do I need to add a parameter to the Database? In wich table?

What php file displays the list of modules? I could clone it to do this, and modify the display...

Thanks for any reply..

Jordi
"Battles are fought by those with the courage to believe. They are won by those who find the heart to share." -MANOWAR

skenow
Re: How control panel appearance works. Need help to make a hack
  • 2006/11/30 1:58

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Not in any particular order (easiest to hardest, I guess) -

From you post, I think you already have this one - the module icons are defined by each of the modules. Look at xoops_version.php for each module for its location. Usually modules/<modulename>/images/

The module admin page is part of the system admin page - /modules/system/admin.php?fct=modulesadmin.

There are a few 'hacks' of the admin area - one was just posted, and VitaminC has been around for a while.

JoaoTapuia
  • 2006/11/30 2:27

• JoaoTapuia

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

Hello jordi_rc

Do you know the last work of BitC3R0 (Xoops México Leader Team): XOOPS EXM 2.0.16, a modified release of XOOPS 2.0.16.

Look:

Resized Image

More information here ( ORIGINAL)

Resized Image

More informations and fantastic screenshots here, in XOOPS Brasil.

nekro
  • 2006/11/30 4:16

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

Its a really very nice release of the control panel... it would be great if the theme would be more generic... more like the main XOOPS project now soo mexicanxoops ...

maybe i should change a little the main menu... a little reorganization of it ...

but... it is finally a really great work... well done!!

stefan88
  • 2006/11/30 9:08

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,
you may have a look at "adminarea_revisited_beta1" and "adminarea_revisited_beta2" and see how it was done there. It as alternative control pannel. Sad the project is now closed and never release a final version.
It is from older versions, so if you install it, do it on a test server!

Also GIJOE have some modules that extend the functionality of admin - blocksadmin and templatesadmin. It is not what you need, but you can see how he did it...

Maybe you can create a separate module to manage some site functions. I had this idea some time ago, but never had time to stat - to have a management, plug-in based, module that will provide management of some functions, defined in plugins. This way it could be extended to manage content for other modules like news and so on. If it has access setings, you may have people to manage the site content and some settings, without giving them access to admin area and fill site or module control. It shuld be something like multilevel site/module admin...

jordi_rc
  • 2006/11/30 22:27

• jordi_rc

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for all the replys.

Your ideas are all vary vauable to me.

The XoopsMexico new control panel is nice, it improves very much the original of Xoops. I think it should be added to XOOPS core.

Unfortunelly I can't upgrade to 2.0.16 so easy. I use 2.0.15 and I have severely hacked all my site. I hacked the user profiles, the templates... so if I upgrade I will smash it all.

XoopsMexico includes something similar to my idea, I mean, the buttons for system functions. But it is not exactly what I mean.
---
I have many modules installed. Some of them I never touched again since I installed them. For example, Membros Online, or Happy Linux. Others like the Forum or Articles need to be accessed very often.

The idea is to be able to add those modules so often used to a panel, so you can add or remove there the modules buttons that you use to access very often. Like a desktop, or so.

---

Maybe I could do this with a module, as you say. It may be more easy to install and maybe other people could use it too.

--
I finally tried to fin that modification of the control panel but seems the file no longer exists.

I will try to see how the modules apear listed there, look the database and so on.

If you have some idea or info useful for this, please reply.

Thanks again,

Jordi
"Battles are fought by those with the courage to believe. They are won by those who find the heart to share." -MANOWAR

jordi_rc
  • 2006/11/30 22:34

• jordi_rc

• Not too shy to talk

At a first glance, I see in the database of xoops, the table "modules". It has a field:

dirname -- useful for get the module admin url

Jordi.

Login

Who's Online

137 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 137

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits