sierra1bravo
Porting an MS-Access database

Dear all
I have a simple, self-developed, bibiliography database (title, author, date, type, source, language, theme, abstract etc) which has about 400 records. I want a web-based interface with the create-edit-search functionality for this data in my Xoops-based site. If it's possible (but not necessary), I'd like to enter more records offline and sync with the online DB and also let on-line users submit their suggestions for bibiliographies.

Is there any XOOPS module that I can configure for this purpose? Is there any other way to handle this requirement?

TIA

sb

preachur
Re: Porting an MS-Access database
  • 2006/11/30 13:22

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Well, if you can find a module to do what you want, you could probably do what I did with a SQL database I imported data from: I opened it in Access, copied everything into Excel sheets, Saved them in CSV files, and then used this script to import them:

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?uniconvert

I have just been modifying it as I go. It was made for the user database, but it can be set up to fill in other tables too with a little code modification.

(It also works for user databases quite well, and comes with an example .csv file. If you follow the format it works perfectly.)

For users just edit the database and .CSV info, drop it in your base directory with the .CSV file, and run it.

For other tables just go through and change the tables and structure to suit your needs.

As for syncing with access? I don't know how that would work. Will access do link tables and import mySQL data? I know it will with SQL. I've never tried with mySQL. I have always just used phpMyAdmin to administrate my mySQL databases. Maybe I'll try access sometime. Might make converting structures easier, if it works.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

preachur
  • 2006/11/30 13:36

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

You CAN sync mySQL with access. Just download the MyODBC ODBC Driver.http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-myodbc.html

preachur
  • 2006/11/30 14:30

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

Wow!!! This will make my job so much easier. Now I can import the data through MS-Access. I imported the mySQL tables and then did one with link tables. WORKS GREAT. I can compare it to the old SQL and make it work. Thank you for asking that question and getting me curious. That opens up a whole new door.

sierra1bravo

Thanks for the lead.

The page contains several downloads:
import_users_v1.1.zip
migration_nuked_klan_1.7_cbb1.14.zip
phpBB2_Newbb1_converter.zip
punbb_xoops2.0.x_users_cbb115.zip

Which script do you refer to? Is this compatible with the latest XOOPS version?

Thanks again

sb

preachur
  • 2006/11/30 14:45

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

The import_users_v1.1.zip works, but I don't think you'll need it if you use this:

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-myodbc.html

Just scroll down past the form and choose a mirror to download the program.

The instructions are here:

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/web/mysql/msaccess.html

preachur
  • 2006/11/30 14:49

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

Just find a module that will do what you need, install it, do a sample post, then open up the database, find the table with the sample post, then import your existing data one column at a time. Once it's set up with your data you can livelink it all and you're set.

preachur
  • 2006/11/30 14:54

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

It's as simple as selecting columns, copying and pasting. Access auto-numbers rows for you, and linktables in access will update straight to the server.

preachur
  • 2006/11/30 15:16

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

Actually, Access works quite well for mySQL. I'm using it now.

sierra1bravo

Oooops...maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Ok, for a moment forget mySQL, forget syncing...and back to basics.

I have a *generic* database--CSV, XLS, Access, PostgreSQL, whatever. The structure is simple.

I need to show this database, through an appropriate user interface, on my site (which is Xoops-based).

Further, I need the following functionality for this page:

* Display all records (in a clickable summary list, that provides full record details in a popup window when clicked)

* Search for a keyword in that may appear in any column. Hits should be shown as a clickable summary list as above.

My question: is there a XOOPS module, compatible with the latest XOOPS core, that will do this?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone who responded

sb.

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits