Quest
Baffled, dazed and confused. What could it be?
  • 2006/11/10 23:29

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I have currently 4 sites using XOOPS 2.0.15 all with same modules. One in particular has less modules than the other but the modules it has are indeed on the other sites.

Suddenly in the last few days and no major changes the client can not access the site.

What occurs is this: They go to the sites url which is presently the site closed page. They have access to enter while we are working on it and have until a week or so ago. They login and it takes them to a blank white page.

I set them up and gave them access to two other sites running the XOOPS 2.0.15 and closed each one so as to emulate the same atmosphere for the site as theirs.

They were able to login and access those sites with no problems.

For their site which they can not access is basically says it can't find it. Their site is currently a sub-domain for testing purposes. If they go to the www.x x x.-----.com addy they get zilch, no can find, white blank page. If they go to the directory addy where XOOPS is loaded as the sub-directory eg; www.--------.com/----- they get the Site Closed page just fine. They login and it takes them to a white page. Doesn't happen on any of the other 2.0.15 sites.

Sorry if I repeated myself along the way but this has me totally stumped.

I don't have a problem accessing it, my better half who at her work PC on a seriously networked and secure system has no problems accessing it either.

Going Bonkers in Georgia,
Quest

banned
Re: Baffled, dazed and confused. What could it be?
  • 2006/11/11 1:13

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/16

They cannot find the sub-domain (404?) or they see a blank page?
If they cannot find the subdomain it can be:
a) a dns problem -
b) named who's doing something wrong, try to restart it
If the only see a blank page it can be:
a) has php been updated recently?
b) is a problem only for the main page? have you tried to go to another url - one you know that exist?
c) have you tried to set debug_mode to 1 - you can do it withing phpmyadmin, simply run this query
UPDATE `xoops_configSET `conf_value` = '1' WHERE `conf_name` ='debug_mode'

banned,

Quest
  • 2006/11/11 3:53

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

If they try to access the site with the sub-domain url then they get the standard windows error message about not being able to find the site as if it doesn't exist. I can't really say for sure if it is the 404 error or maybe they are one in the same. ??? They are using IE7, but so am I and I don't have the problem, nor does anyone else that I know of. They are in Indiana and I am in Georgia, the distance along with their normal business operations makes detailed lengthy communication or debugging difficult.

If they go to the directory url of home/blank.com/blank they get the siteclosed then. Then they submit the user id and password, hit enter and they get the blank page.
I am opting that it is a dns problem. Not long ago they had some problems with their email (Outlook Express) retrieving mail and it was some problem with the DNS. The dns needed flushed.
I am not to savvy to a lot of things so I am not sure what that means. If it is a dns problem as you mention and I am now inclined to believe it is, do you know how to resolve the problem?

Quest

Bender
  • 2006/11/11 10:05

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

I guess that depends on where they get their dns answers from.

For testing you could ask them to use this site and probably save and send the results to you:

http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/

Also you could add the dns entry static into the "hosts" file on one of their machines for testing if they are on a NT based Operating System. (of course this should obviously be removed again later)
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Quest
  • 2006/11/11 13:15

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

Thank you Bender. The link you provided helps tremendously.

Quest

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits