brossow
Need help to display article text on main page
  • 2006/9/17 22:26

• brossow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/17

I feel like an absolute, utter idiot but I've been struggling with this on my own for more than two days and I admit defeat. I want to do something that's utterly simple in CMS's I've worked with. All I want to do, on the main page of my site (http://www.mehsalumni.com/), is designate an article as the "top" article and have it show up in the center block, just like we see in the "Latest XOOPS news" on this very site with the "Open Source CMS Award: Vote for XOOPS!" article. I've tried several different news and article modules. I've done absolutely everything I can think of. The only way I can accomplish what I want is by designating the AMS module as the module for my start page, which I don't want to do for aesthetic reasons, or perhaps more accurately just on principle because I've been fighting with this #@$^%#$ thing for so long and I don't want "it" to win.

I can get it to display the article headlines. I can get it to display a list of top stories, or random stories, or whatever. But all I want is the text of this one article to show up, in its entirety. It doesn't seem like that's an unusual request.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm no idiot -- I've been on the 'Net since '91 and have managed my own servers for many, many years. But this has me beating my head against a wall. :(

Thanks,
Brent

wcrwcr
Re: Need help to display article text on main page
  • 2006/9/17 23:11

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Hi

Did you try to create a custom block and put the content you want into?

Then set that block to show up in your home.

Hope it helps

brossow
  • 2006/9/18 0:06

• brossow

• Just popping in

Quote:

wcrwcr wrote:
Hi

Did you try to create a custom block and put the content you want into?

Then set that block to show up in your home.

Hope it helps

No, because I want to retain the features of posting it as an article -- user comments, etc. If XOOPS can't do something as simple as this, I think I'll have to cut my losses and switch to a CMS that can. It seems pretty standard to be able to display the text of X number of stories on the main page of a CMS. Every other one I've ever used can do it easily, which makes this all the more frustrating. I like some of the other features of Xoops, but this would be a deal-killer if it can't do something this basic. I wouldn't want to get burned by whatever other basic stuff it also can't do that I just haven't discovered yet. :(

But thanks for the suggestion!

jensclas

There are 2 modules you might consider trying - MY page and Spotlight and my home
my home
xmspotlight alpha
Can't locate 'my page' but i suspect 'my home is more recent anyway.

You might also try exploring these links:

Module playground
Top 30 articles (sorry its in french)
Up to date module repository

brossow
  • 2006/9/18 0:43

• brossow

• Just popping in

Spotlight did almost exactly what I want it to do -- THANKS! My preference would be to select any given story as the "Spotlight" story either when posting anew or when editing the story itself, but this is much closer than I've been to happy for the past couple days. Again, thank you.

My remaining question, and I haven't looked at the other modules you suggested yet, is how to accomplish something similar for X number of other news stories, displaying not just the article titles but the full text of the stories on the main page. I'll do some more digging with these new leads, but if there's a simple answer I'm all ears ... err, eyes.

Login

Who's Online

473 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 473

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits