GoLeM
couple of questions-please help
  • 2006/8/30 23:29

• GoLeM

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/30

Hi!

I'm very satisfied with xoops, I have been going on site's based on XOOPS for over 3 years and now I decided to make my own.

It's going very well but with upcoming attraction and possibility of sponsorship we encountered some problems...I hope you can help me.

a)I activated in administration menu big story block and now it is on site saying''there isn't a biggest story today yet''. ok, that's fine, I haven't put it...but where to put it??! I can add news but big story? i cant find option anywhere.

b)my site needs to advertise by putting commercial on some visible place, e.g. yours powered by section on right but how to put the pictures. what should I do? make a new block called powered by and then what? where should i upload the pictures like u and how to put it?

c)I'm finding problems with putting some type of poster or something like cover of a magazine (e.g.gameplay.hr) and then below that the forum topics because like this it looks a little poor any advice?

I have blue skin that I am really satisfied and has no bugs and i would like to keep that, so i hope skin is not the problem

BTW, my site is on adress www.sajt.hrhosting.net and next week we are going on www.sajt.com.hr domain, so we will have a lot of space to put material...and that brings to em another question. d)How to put materals directly on teh site server? i dont know, some homemade music, shrort movies or something. Basiccaly, the site is for students to exchange notes from the classe and examples of midterms and exams from previous year so how can I put them so they would always be there? I tried throug biggest story block but as U can see I cant insert anything on that block...

please help, I am finally happy with this site and with his popularity and I don't want all to go to waste, I have read the manuals and tried over the search option to find something but i think that someone can help me.

Thanx in advance, any help or advice is good, but use a little simplistic words, English is not my main language.

sorry again for bvad grammar or anything like that.

Chappy
Re: couple of questions-please help
  • 2006/8/31 0:24

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I can get you started perhaps:

a) first create the story - the BIG story. Then turn on the BIG story block by going to admin|blocks|the BIG story block and edit it to your liking. If you intend to have the BIG story show each day in the BIG story block, you will need to put a BIG story in there each day, otherwise it will give you the message you saw.

b) Blocks. Go to ADMIN|BLOCKS. At the bottom of the page you can create/edit a block giving it the title you want, etc. Make sure the image will fit in case you are putting the block in a side column. For the picture, edit your picture to your liking and space requirements and then upload a picture using an ftp client like ws-ftp. You'll need the relevant login data to enter your webspace. You can also add images via the image manager (ADMIN|IMAGES).

c) somebody else may need to assist you with that one. Unless I miss my guess you'll need to edit templates to do that (if I understand correctly).

Putting stuff on your site - try to find a tutorial on the use of an ftp server (though they really aren't that hard to use and most of the clients are fairly intuitive). Also, you can put some of these tests, etc on your site using on of the download modules (again, you'll need an ftp client to load the module to your site). But, most of the download modules have an upload facility that will work fine once you have the module installed. Firefox has an ftp extension called FireFtp that is free and can maybe help you get started.

Going to bed now...
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

GoLeM
  • 2006/8/31 11:16

• GoLeM

• Just popping in

Quote:

Chappy wrote:
I can get you started perhaps:

a) first create the story - the BIG story. Then turn on the BIG story block by going to admin|blocks|the BIG story block and edit it to your liking. If you intend to have the BIG story show each day in the BIG story block, you will need to put a BIG story in there each day, otherwise it will give you the message you saw.

thanks a lot...if anybody had anything else to advise, especially problem c and d please do

about big story...i click edit and this is what i get

http://www.slibe.com/image/7c1a8432-slika-JPG/

now, how to put article in it?

GoLeM
  • 2006/8/31 11:21

• GoLeM

• Just popping in

another problem i had figured out just recently...i dont have image block on the left side of administration menu, you know, that yellow block on the left...i got system admnin, news, polls etc. but i dont have picture part. probably my friend forgot to put it when we started...how to put it?

thanx in advance

jensclas

Quote:
i dont have image block on the left side

You currently don't get an image block on the left - you manage images through site admin - images.

Problem 3: I use an older module called wf sections now called 'smart sections' and available from www.smartfactory.ca

In it I have the ability to create topic categories and also ad topic images - see my site as the example.
here

Problem d)How to put materals directly on teh site server? i dont know, some homemade music, shrort movies or something. Basiccaly, the site is for students to exchange notes from the classe and examples of midterms and exams from previous year so how can I put them so they would always be there?

I would recomend the same download source as above and browse their modules - look for smart downloads - This will allow you and your users to upload and download files given the correct permissions. You can cetegroise the downloads and give diffenet permissions for them. For example - only you can upload past exams but students can download and look, but in a category called 'submit your work' for example students would be able to upload their completed tasks - now the trick will be do you want students to view other students work? You will need to think on your permissions for that.

As I am a teacher I can imagine categories like this:

Past exams
Student submissions
Subject files

Within each might also be subcategories for specific subjects/classes

Depending on how you wish to manage your students. If you are dealing with one class registered users is fine - but if you have a couple of classes you might consider manually managing user groups and creating more user groups. For example you already have webmaster, registered, ananonymous.

But you might want to also create class a, b, c and teachers as user groups. Then you can set permsissions to those groups. Hope this make sense. Be a bit careful though as I think if users are in more than one group they might have problems - vaguely remember seeing something about this somewhere. Be a good idea to do a bit more research on it.

It's also a good idea to head to the module playground and experiment with other modules - get a feel for them. Linka are in the FAQ section on modules. Hope these ideas help

GoLeM
  • 2006/8/31 21:41

• GoLeM

• Just popping in

this is written to me when i try to upload image:

Errors Returned While Uploading
Unknown filetype rejected
MIME type not allowed: image/jpeg

but I put jpeg file to upload..i don't understand

and when i finally do upload several of the pictures how can i put it for everyone to see them on site

GoLeM
  • 2006/8/31 21:50

• GoLeM

• Just popping in

ok...lets say i solved that...lets say it...

i menaged to pu firefox little image like u on the right but how to put the link when you click at the image for firefox webpage like u?

jensclas

No doubt that is a 'block' that contains a set of code (possibly html) to put the linked images where they are. Most likely it is a custom block. Then in block settings it is placed as right hand side and is given a higher number so it appears further down than the other rhs blocks. HTH

Login

Who's Online

257 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 257

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits