leostotch
Re: Why the change?
  • 2006/8/21 8:04

• leostotch

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/1 1

Quote:
Are you saying that there is no room for "users"? Either you learn about how the graphics card work, whih type of ram is better and what the trade off is, or you cannot buy a PC at all.
I don't think it is that bad to reach a stuation where "users" also want to use the product, and not only experienced xoopsers?

I'm sorry, but is your definition of user a stupid invividual with the IQ of a green plant ?
A basic PC user, if he doesn't know how his graphic card works, needs at least be able to learn that he sould press the "on/off" button to turn it on, press another button to open his CD tray, insert the disc he just bought, close the tray, and double-click on the "setup" icon to install a program. If he doesn't want to learn all this, he still has the possibility to use the CD as a frisbee.

Here it's the same: you don't have to know how everything works, you just have to select the module(s) you want to use, and install it.

If you want another metaphor, you may prefer: you don't have to learn how to build a car to drive it, but if you expect to have it move by itself like a taxi, you're going to wait for long.

Quote:

If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
use your software.
Linus Torvalds

Lance_
  • 2006/8/21 12:21

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

"Users" browse sites and "Webmasters" build the sites.

XOOPS is a site building tool, not a browsing tool.

GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

damaster
  • 2006/8/21 13:12

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

YOU CAN’T HAVE ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER!

The lack of interoperability, strategies for working more effectively with modules - untested legacy code bases - across major releases (all forks), which have different technologies and varied business interests, is hampering the growth of the project and users experience s. This is forcing the end-user to look for other solutions to manage content ... and build sites

Ps. almost a year to get a release in-stable with ldap and 2 blocks already existing as modules and hacks.

What is the percent of webmasters using ldap to build sites?
And what about LazyBadger smarty blocks?

Humm... so, no wheels to roll... and no instructions to lead !?
Better sit down and meditate...
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

deram
  • 2006/8/21 13:41

• deram

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/10

I disagree.

There is a development that goes way back to the beginning of when the computer wa invented.

In the beginning only very few nerds had any chance of using it. They used machne code etc. Then over time it has become more and more simple to do more and more complex things.

For instance the leap from MS_DOS to more graphic operating systems and the windows tradition inspired by McIntosh OSs. That made people able to do more complex things.

The leap from hand coding to WYSIWYG is another of countless examples.

This happening all around us and saying that "this is so complex that only relatively few people have an interest in it (therefore it can be more complex and time consuming to learn)" that is exactly the same argument some people used about the computer in general. I remember the boss of IBM many many years ago said that the world demand for computers would never exceed 6.

People do want to make websites and have a webpresence. In 10 years, or even 5 years I believe that if we all come back to look at this tread, we will find that the world has moved (with or without Xoops) in such a way that interactive websites are much easier top set up than they are now, and the suggestions I made will surely be everyday and basic. SMF and other already today have these facilities, so I cannot really see how anyone can doubt that that is the direction we are all moving in.

Another aspect: How long do you suppose it took to make a simple webpage with a little text and 2-3 colors 20 or so years ago? It took quite a long time. Today there are so many WYSIWYGs that will allow you to make that in a matter of 1-2 minutes.

How long does it now take to get a functional XOOPS up and running with the 10 basic modules for someone that is new? I haven't tried it yet, but my best guess is several hours. I don't see how or why it is important to defend the right to have it take that long. I am convinced that in short time ( a few years) most if not all these CMSs will be far more userfriendly than now. They are already far more userfridly than they were a few years ago. XOOPS (at least ver.. 13) was very userfriednly, so I don't get the defensive attitude that "people are stupid if they want it faster, more automatic, or easier than it is now". That is the dirrection XOOPS is already going and hopfully will continue to go.

I know that people defend their powerbases. I have surely done this quite a few times myself. I was very good at hand coding HTML, so I didn't like WYSIWYGs and thought that there was nothing like real hand cosing because you have total control etc. etc. But eventhough I can still see the benefit of being able to handcode, it is of course a complete waste of time to do everything by hand when Dreamweaver and other programs do a great job.

@Damaster I didn't know that there were issues such at what you are hinting at, but I guess such isues are very likely to arise and I think they are also there for PHP nuke and all the paralel developments of that too.

However, SMF has come a long way since the last time I looked at them (about 6-12 months ago) so perhaps they are organizing themselves differently or? I hope XOOPS solves this because imo. XOOPS was the best and most userfriendly CMS at the time when I chose it (about 12-14 months ago).

deram
  • 2006/8/23 2:49

• deram

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/10

OK, I have now put up the forum, news and download modules and it IS really easy and there are not many chances to make errors. It does take time though.

Earlier I asked howcome James' pack doesn't work, because I assumed it would if I copied his "modules" folder to my modules folder.

So far only the CBB has required anything but that.

So it seems (so far) that had someone just told me "what you are doing is fine, but if you have CBB as one of the modules you need to copy his "frameworks" folder over to your own root folder".

So, now I am telling others that are not overly experienced at this.

You CAN take James' pack, just remember the "frameworks" folder. Easy peasy.

Login

Who's Online

241 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 241

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits