Djiman
The legality of hacking module(s)
  • 2006/8/8 6:51

• Djiman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/26

Hi guys, I have few questions regarding the legality of hacking modules.

1 - How legal is it to modify or hack any existing-module for personal use? -I mean, the XOOPS module(s) for personal use, and not for selling that piece of software -

2 - Can any one really hack a module for other purpose other than what the module was meant to be from the start?
3 - When you hack a module to work for other purpose, you want to use that module for that other purpose, -is there a penalty for that or are we violating any rights or laws?
4 - Where does the hacking right start or ends ? if any!

I just dont want to run into trouble. That is the purpose of my questions. Many thanks for your replies.

kurak_bu
Re: The legality of hacking module(s)
  • 2006/8/8 7:06

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/9/5 1

you can hack whatever you want. Its open source. but you cant sell it. You may edit whole php/html code, just for you site.

wizanda
  • 2006/8/8 7:14

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Hacking....it wasn't me? me no nuffin yer honher.....have a look at how many modules we have on our site a new one a day.
Yet many main modules that are still worked on, edit yet keep intact for updates to be easy..

Djiman
  • 2006/8/8 7:26

• Djiman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/26

Yep; technically you can do anything.

When I saw the XOOPS 149 $ ugly-unfair- affair, (to those authors, for their work) these extra thinking came to my mind.

maybe to summurise the whole issue as;
- When or where does the violation start ?( the GNU/GPL we have it, most of us would by now have the text memorised, that is fine.

Okay, will be back later tomorrow for some feed back.

spoilerhead

you may modify any GPL code and use it for private purpose

but:
if you sell the program (thats legal): you have to provide the full source code and skripts/stuff needed to build the program to _everyone_ asking for it, and there hast do bea a easy way to ask for it. you may not charge them more the nyour own reproduction cost.

so hacking a gpl module is legal, using it for private purpose, too, but be ready that you ahve to give out the sourcecode o anyone asking for it.

for details just read the complete GPL

kurak_bu
  • 2006/8/8 9:36

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/9/5 1

i forget about one more thing. look at most popular made-by-Xoops sites. they have a lot of hacks.many changes in modules. wy? they need it to fully customize their sites. thats why XOOPS is "flexible".

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits