conas
Hijacked Shoutbox
  • 2006/7/25 20:55

• conas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/5 2

Can tell anyone how to stop hijaking my shoutbox.
They are getting on my nervs and I don't know what to do.
Please help me!
I'm not crazy I'm a hungarian!
http://lsogor.com

metropolis
Re: Hijacked Shoutbox
  • 2006/7/25 21:37

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Could you explain what you mean with "hijacking" your shoutbox? You mean somebody writes shouts into it? It's the purpose of a shoutbox I think...

davidl2
  • 2006/7/25 21:49

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Make it only available to subscribed members, and it will reduce the problem.

Swain
  • 2006/7/25 22:16

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

"Hijacking" is when spammers start posting to your Shoutbox, forum, guestbook, comments, etc. for their own means and ends, and not those of your website. It can be quite a problem, and more than a little annoying as you watch things fill up with posts for sex sites, real estate scams, and other such nonsense.

conas
  • 2006/7/26 18:54

• conas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/5 2

Yes that what happened.Is there any solution for that or just forget the shoutbox modul?
I want visitors to be able to post in it not onlu subscribers.
Can I do something about it?

That is what I'm talk about!>>>> here check it out!
I'm not crazy I'm a hungarian!
http://lsogor.com

Swain
  • 2006/7/27 1:38

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

Well, the best solution if you want guests to still post would be a captcha module. There is one for Xoops, and someone mentioned it recently in a post.I do not know if it would work with Shout though. I understand its creator has instructions on how to use it with several modules though so there is a chance. Here's the link:http://www.dugris.info

Most of this kind of stuff is done through bots, so captcha should work.

metropolis
  • 2006/7/27 4:50

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

A solution may be to temporarily set the write access for registered users only so the spambots can't access it anymore. Maybe they will then stop to access it. After a couple of weeks, set the access rights back so that anonymous users can use it as well.

Of course, a captcha field would be the better solution, but I don't think anyone takes care of the Shoutbox module anylonger.

Swain
  • 2006/7/27 6:08

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

Well, that would stop the spam from appearing, but it will not stop the spammers. A year ago I deleted the guestbooks on two of the servers I do design for. Even today I see 404 errors where spam-bots are still trying to access them. I also service a search engine and directory that used to get spammed until I set up the htaccess from Hell. I still see 403 errors where the spam-bots are trying in a futile effort to post to the scripts. They will keep trying. I think captcha may be the only way to go unless he wants to make it permanently registered user only.

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits