technobia
Re: Perfomance Issues & Upgrading
  • 2006/7/16 0:53

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/17

Hey Gettonet,

I editided the metabase.xml as directed in the instructions however when I just went back to check it aparently the changes did not save in the file. I had the "Enable Directe Metabase Edit" checked in IIS as well.

What I actually had to do was copy the metabase.xml file to anoter name, edit it and rename the files in the file system, Then I did an IIS reset. I had to do that a couple of times as it would not save the changes.

I think the problem was I mistkenly used Word Pad instead of Note Pad . Now the changes stuck and XOOPS IS compressed. 6.6x!!!

Thanks for leading me in the right direction!
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

technobia
  • 2006/7/16 1:01

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/17

Thanks for leading me in the right direction. I went back to check the metabase.xml file and the edits I did earlier to add PHP did not save. I even had the "enable Direct Meta Edit" enabled in IIS.

I think I know what might have happedned, I mistakenly used Word Pad instead of Note Pad to edit the file. All is good now after a few trys. XOOPS is now complressed 4.2x.
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

brash
  • 2006/7/16 12:58

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

technobia wrote:
WOW! Brash,

That is some of the best documentation I have seen, especially for open source! You are a gem!!!!

I have a few questions:

1. Since I enabled HTTP Compression in IIS the sites work fantastic however I have seeing pretty regular spikes in CPU utilization. Is this because perhaps all the sites are not yet compressed? I have 30+ include the XOOPS site which does not seem to be compressed.

2. In installed Zen Optimizer but do not see much of a difference with that. Do I need to do anything else with it?

3. I did not install accelerator as there were no real instructions for Windows 2003 / IIS server. Perhaps you can assist with this and/or location the proper documentation.

I love your website too!!!
Thanks so much Technobia

P.S What is your latest version of AMS (2.4?) I would like to try it? Is it compatable with XOOPS 2.0.14 /PHP4.3.11/ MySQL 4.1?

Hi technobia,

Glad you found the article useful. To answer your questions;

1) Compression of dynamic content such as PHP will put more load on the CPU, so it is matter of finding a balance between compression level and performance.

2) Zend Optimiser won't do big things for you. In fact I've even read some articles claiming it slowed things down marginally.

3) I don't have an article on Opcode accelerators for IIS yet, but they are very much worth pursuing. You'll get somewhere around a 50% performance increase just there.

Last version of AMS was 2.4, and it should have no issues running on XOOPS 2.0.14 /PHP4.3.11/ MySQL 4.1.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

brash
  • 2006/7/16 12:58

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

*Whoops, Double Post*
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits