macmend
Bandwidth problems
  • 2006/7/14 8:30

• macmend

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/27

This may not be the right forum, but I have bandwidth problems with XOOPS i never had before. I have protector and the stats module going I have disabled referer which seemed to attract spam

my recent stats report

Total hits last week: 237
Visitors last week: 109

which I don't think is a lot so where is my bandwidth going. My host has been very good and upped my bandwidth last month at no extra charge..

this is a problem on both jonathanspencer.net and macmend.com

any advice would be gratefully received.
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

apache server with php sshexec turned on
xoops version 2.0.18.1 & 2.3.1
php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

hal9000
Re: Bandwidth problems
  • 2006/7/14 10:00

• hal9000

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/6 9

i would suggest you look at your control panel on your hosting package - most hosts have one of some type and then check the log and sort in order of bandwitdh used.

this might be obvious but it will tell you where everything has gone.
i had a similar thing with an image i put on my site and somebody took it and used it as an avatar on another forum - still linked into my site so i was hosting thier avatar.

i replaced the image with an altered one with added text say something like 'i'm an image thief' or something like that and they soon stopped

macmend
  • 2006/7/14 13:20

• macmend

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/27

I only have the raw access log and webaliser via cpanel, which has helped somewhat, but I can't find any image linking, but the raw access log is hard to read.

I wonder if its yahoo slurp going beserk on my site for some reason
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

apache server with php sshexec turned on
xoops version 2.0.18.1 & 2.3.1
php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

Cuidiu
  • 2006/7/14 14:38

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

I've had a lot of trouble with search engines going wild (Yahoo and MSN for starters) on a few of my non XOOPS sites. I would think protector would help that with the high crawler options. You could try removing Slurp from the welcomed crawler list:
[size=x-small]Welcomed User-Agent:
A perl regex pattern for User-Agent. If it matches, the crawler is never considered as a high loading crawler. eg) /(msnbot|Googlebot|Yahoo! Slurp)/i
[/size]

If it is a search engine, you could also try adding a crawl delay to your robots.txt file such as:
User-agent: Slurp
Crawl-delay: 30

I believe Yahoo, MSN, and Ask/Teoma will obey this but last I checked Google simply ignores. Yahoo has so many bots that it takes a while for all of them to catch on.
Read more about Yahoo and crawl delay HERE.

Quote:
I wonder if its yahoo slurp going beserk on my site for some reason
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

ghettonet
  • 2006/7/16 6:48

• ghettonet

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/12/4

In my experience, XOOPS is ridiculously slow if compression isn't used. By enabling compression the site has smaller files to send over the wire, which will speed it up ALOT. I don't know if you have access to the server, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them to turn it on (unless they already did). Try searching the XOOPS site for speed hacks, there is a lot you can do to speed it up and make it more efficiant.

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits