Will_H
Re: To continue XOOPSing or to move on?
  • 2006/7/6 4:39

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Personally, I still use 2.2.4 on all of my sites. I will continue to do so until the "gaps" as they were referred to are vanquished.

My point is that you have many allies who are willing to offer assistance with any problems you have.

Atleast until the project is unified again.

stefan88
  • 2006/7/6 5:21

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
Well that sounds good and if it'll be ready in 2 months (give or take) that's alright as well considering that time passes so fast to me lately two months are nothing.

Maybe 2 years will be more realistic ...

It is not a good idea to upgrade right after the release of any version and that is twice the case for any major one. To be safe, probably you will have to wait untill 2.4.4 - 2.4.6 for any production site. Meanwhile you shuold test versions when released and make yourself familiar (and help xoopsers discover bugs, so developers could fix them)

More generally - some of us did have the same dilemma. Personally I stay with 2.0.13.2 From time to time I give a test to other CMS. I have a very restrictive setup of LAMP and so far XOOPS 2.0.x was the only system to install and run without major problems. Second - there are some forks in development that promise upgrade from 2.0.13, so I have backup plan

damaster
  • 2006/7/6 13:26

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Quote:
Right now, I sometimes feel like I'm driving a Rolls Royce with bicycle tires for wheels.

Quote:

Even with bicycle tires for wheels we are almost there!

Ok, there's a lack of professionalism, almost coders are self-made and learning here project management and development as well as open source social networking. If today XOOPS is alike a historical adventure novel... it still alive, as a tree, through other branchs, and that's a such important thing... for the futur...

Hope is the last thing to die!
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

libervis
  • 2006/7/6 14:16

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

Quote:

stefan88 wrote:

That would be a bit too much to wait and be stuck with 2.2.4 for the whole time, except if you suggest switching back to 2.0.14 and following from that.

I do hope it'll be much sooner though. If we are to wait two years for it I don't think XOOPS really has all that much of a future anyway. In some ways it already lacks behind the likes of Drupal and Joomla, and if it takes that long it could end up eating their dust behind..

Anyway, I think I'm persuaded to stick to 2.2.4 for now and count on some support from others who decided the same. I am giving XOOPS a second chance.

Cheers
Daniel
XOOPS Site: Libervis.com :: For a Free World

-- Libervis Network --

davidl2
  • 2006/7/6 14:23

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I realistically doubt you'll be waiting that long.

McNaz
  • 2006/7/6 14:35

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
In some ways it already lacks behind the likes of Drupal and Joomla

Oh Please! I suggest you download Joomla and look at the stone age coding that is in their core.... XOOPS OO core is years ahead. Joomla's only advantage is its marketing and excellent skin collection. As a module developer, XOOPS is much easier to code to.

libervis
  • 2006/7/6 15:52

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

I'm not a coder so I can't be the judge of the code, so you might be right McNaz.

It's just the "end user" perception maybe, which may or may not always be correct. I personally don't like Joomla that much, but I use drupal on another site and it really shines in some ways, especially regarding extensibility. For example, the ability to put php snippets into any page using the onboard submission feature and also the ability to override core and module functions in a theme's template.php file are just awesome features. I also like it's built in support of clean URL's with the title of the page being in the URL itself (which carries alot of SEO weight).

On the other hand, Drupal does require a bit of know-how to run optimally (or even near optimally) so in that regard (ease of use) XOOPS probably wins.
XOOPS Site: Libervis.com :: For a Free World

-- Libervis Network --

kaotik
  • 2006/7/6 16:34

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

I'd also like to "chime in" here; I use 2.2.4 for all my sites now simply because of the added features that make a great diference for my clients. Some of them are actually quite simple such as an outbox for PM, when i used 2.0.x I used to get a lot of heat for this missing feature. Themable admin is also a huge plus where you can add blocks, I couldn't go without it now. And finally custom user fields, this is probably one of the big selling points of 2.2.4
So, although 2.2.4 isn't "recommended" it's still used by a lot of us
www.kaotik.biz

damaster
  • 2006/7/6 22:37

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

There was already an hack for PM
and another admin interface as
for user profile there was also
an hack too. By the way there's even
a XOOPS For Google released by Hervet!

You could run X2 with Gijoe Protector,
his Fastest Cache Hack for Xoops, blocks
admin, etc. And all that under a stable
2.0.13.3 fixed release.

So why people use a not recommended and
messy 2.2.x release?

gotta

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

msdana
  • 2006/7/6 22:49

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
So why people use a not recommended and
messy 2.2.x release?

If those people are like me, it wasn't listed as NOT RECOMMENDED when we downloaded, installed, and learned. I chose not to downgrade because I had entirely too much time put into creating a site and didn't see the need to downgrade, as all was AND is functioning very nicely.

The "small group" of 2.2.3 users seem happy to leave well enough alone until 2.4.

Why use messy hacks when we are satisfied with the features already implemented
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits