Catillion
Working With Local Host
  • 2006/6/2 16:58

• Catillion

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/1 2

I have the xsas software installed and the Apache server is working correctly as "local host". How do I "upload" a new theme to xoops. Do I use Smart FTP? If so, how do I configure? I did a searc here and came up with Snows response to another user which was all about reconfiguring php files. A bit confusing and something I am not at all sure about. Is this what I need to do? Thanks.

Bender
Re: Working With Local Host
  • 2006/6/2 18:10

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

For a local installation there is no need to use ftp. Just unpack the theme archive and place the theme folder into your xoops-root/themes directory.

Then if you go into site preferences you should be able to select it there.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

carnuke
  • 2006/6/2 18:18

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

xsas will create a new folder on your local machine called w-drive or something like that. This folder looks very similar to the webspace you are given by any hosting company. This is where you put your XOOPS website folder. You don't 'upload'as in FTP but simply find this folder on your computer and copy the XOOPS html folder into it. Then you open http://localhost/myfoldername/ and you should see the XOOPS install page come up. Of course you need to create a database first then go through the ususal install procedure.

NOTE I would not recommend XSAS anymore as it appears to be NO LONGER SUPPORTED. after a lot of testing and research i found a better option called http://www.en.wampserver.com/ It does exactly he same thing but with no XOOPS preinstalled. The upside is it uses updated versions of MySQL and php etc. Very easy to use, makes no registry changes and also has a link to the WWW directory (where you put your XOOPS websites) Highly recommended.!!
hhttp://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

Catillion
  • 2006/6/2 18:29

• Catillion

• Just popping in

found the "w" drive on "my computer". I need to understand how to find the "root" directory. Is this a drag and drop process?

Not quite sure I understand. If I want to get the wampserver, how do I uninstall the xsas?

Catillion
  • 2006/6/2 20:25

• Catillion

• Just popping in

Quote:

Bender wrote:
For a local installation there is no need to use ftp. Just unpack the theme archive and place the theme folder into your xoops-root/themes directory.

Then if you go into site preferences you should be able to select it there.

Let me get this straight: by "unpack" you mean unzip, correct? Done! I have no idea what you mean by "root folder". I do not know where these folders you speak of reside. I have gone through all the folders that unzipped and none of them bear the title of "root". I am new to all of this and could use a little less brevity and a lot more hands on exact nomenclature.

jensclas

Hi there

If you go to the documentation link on the left and look at the XOOPS installation guide and user manual under 'documents' you should get a better idea of the language being used here. Be patient with yourself as you learn all these new words and what they all mean.

The root folder is the starting point of all your XOOPS folders. The root path is the path to the starting point of your files directory (your root folder) - the one from which all others come. Imagine you have several folders of documents in various formats - eg personal, business, jokes etc. They all sit under the one folder called 'my documents'. Well your XOOPS site is the same - your 'root' folder is the one from which all others lead.

In XOOPS docs under the section called 'workspace' there is a glossary under construction. It could be worth bookmarling.

If you would like to 'see' how to do things bookmark this site and follow the visual tutorials.

Our FAQ section also has losts of definitions and explanations of the terminilogy and concepts used.

Unfortunately lots of us who respond to questions make the assumption that you understand commonly used words - and concepts - which is why answers are often not detailed. Hopefully these tools will assist you in the future.

Login

Who's Online

477 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 477

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits