nikki
Wordpress spam
  • 2006/5/11 16:40

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/10/31

Hi everyone,

Could somebody explain to a relative newbie any solutions to stopping spam in Wordpress?
I tried banning ips, but it looks like I'm getting it from dynamic IPs or whatever you call them.

I want my Blog to me viewed by visitors, so can't make it hidden to anonymous.

I did a search on this but only found really old posts.

TIA
:)

msdana
Re: Wordpress spam
  • 2006/5/11 19:15

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Have you activated and configured the Akisment Plugin? Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Herko
  • 2006/5/11 21:26

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

askimet is really great, you'll have to sign up for a wordpress.com account to get an askimet API code tho. This is easily done, and very effective tho!

Herko

nikki
  • 2006/5/12 4:43

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks so much guys! Glad it was something so straight forward. Have downloaded it and will give it a try.

thanks again. :)

nikki
  • 2006/5/12 5:13

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Sorry to be such a noob, but I can't work out where the configuration area is for the plugin! I've activated it as far as the 'Action' column shows, but can't see where I can go to enter the key, or anything else for that matter (such as spam management).

Another really weird thing is that now every other Admin page of wordpress is blank (options, links, etc)!!!

help!

toddherrold

in the WP admin area, click on plugins. underneath the nav bar with "plugin" you will see another horizontal nav bar with "akismet configuration." this is where you enter your API key obtained from wordpress.com. Once you do this, you will find the holding bin for comments and posts identified as spam under "manage" then "akismet spam" or "comments awaiting moderation"

your other pages should not be blank.

nikki
  • 2006/5/13 14:55

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Hi, thanks for the response.

I don't feel so stupid now. I don't actually have that horizontal bar. When I click on 'Plugins' the page changes and it says 'manage plugins' and then the list fo available plugins. But nothing to configure.

Incidentally, when I activate the plugin, the page anounces, 'plugin activated' (not the deactivate/activate column).

Something definitely isn't working for me. :(

nikki
  • 2006/5/13 15:14

• nikki

• Not too shy to talk

Yep, and my whole site goes blank!

msdana
  • 2006/5/13 15:49

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Have you turned on PHP-Debug and do you have the latest version installed?

Also, I had a similar problem with the blank page and I had to re-upload the WordPress folder and update it in system admin. One of my files were corrupt. Then it worked fine.

HTH
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits