belial806
Is My Xoops Site Sending Spam?
  • 2006/5/1 13:11

• belial806

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/14

In the last 16 hours I have received close to 200 bounced messages that originated from my domain. At first I thought that someone hijacked the contact form but after I disabled it I still got bounced emails. I finally resorted to turning my site off but that didn't help either. My host is supposedly "investigating" the issue but in there correspondence they are telling me that it is most likly caused by the "third party software" on my site.

My question is, if someone someone exploited XOOPS could they still be sending messages with the site off? I've had the site off for the past 3 hours and they still come and it dosn't show anyone logged in either than myself.

I wish I could give more information but my host dosn't provide detailed statistics. If they did I could just look at which files have used an abnormal amount of resources. They won't even tell me over email claiming that it's against there legal policy to show any information in there server logs. The woes of budget hosting.

If anyone has had a similar problem or can point me in the right direct it would be appreciated. Right now I'm faced with taking my site offline or watching my email box fill up. A third option would be preferable.

rabideau
Re: Is My Xoops Site Sending Spam?
  • 2006/5/1 13:24

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Hi belia,

Sounds like quite a dilemma.

I can recommend a good and helpful ISP provider.http://stormwire.com They provide stellar service at a low cost (but not the cheapest... )

One thing you might be able to do on your own is shutdown or change your email sending function from Xoops; you might also try changing (deleting?) the host email account you use to send email (the one loaded into the XOOPS send email function).

That's about all I can think of...
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

Tabasco
  • 2006/5/1 13:26

• Tabasco

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/26

Have your host turn the mail server off to your domain for a couple of days.

davidl2
  • 2006/5/1 13:35

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Have you the contact module installed?

belial806
  • 2006/5/1 13:38

• belial806

• Just popping in

I have instructed the host to shutdown access to my mail server, no reply yet. One thing I noticed from the bounced emails is that they don't come from any account I have. Some are just random numbers like 435793825739854@mydomain.com but they are coming from my mail server. The host is still "investigating" but i'm not totally convinced that XOOPS is the problem.

Wish I ran my own server... Then don't we all ;)

belial806
  • 2006/5/1 13:42

• belial806

• Just popping in

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Have you the contact module installed?

Yes, but I originally disabled it and then deleted it all together but that didn't fix the problem.

AndyM
  • 2006/5/1 14:01

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/31

You may be worrying about your site needlessly - spammers will send out spam/uce with a real domain name so that any mail servers that check the validity of the e-mail address's domain will accept it. It also helps to divert the "blame" elsewhere.

I've suffered from this myself.

Bender
  • 2006/5/1 14:05

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

If you open up one of those bounced mails within a text editor in case the original mail is attached you should be able to see the path the mail took to verify if its sent by your mail server.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

belial806
  • 2006/5/1 14:33

• belial806

• Just popping in

Quote:

Bender wrote:
If you open up one of those bounced mails within a text editor in case the original mail is attached you should be able to see the path the mail took to verify if its sent by your mail server.

I think you may be on to something. The header shows that they are coming from my domain e.g. (mydomain.com) but when I send a test message to myself and compare it the actuall message I send myself lists a completely differant server (The real mail server).

If that is the case then I guess i'm just stuck with recieving complaining email from people. I'm glade its not mysite doing it. I'll wait to see what the host says before I calm completely down. lol

christian
  • 2006/5/1 15:23

• christian

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/2/24

Dasdan has made a hack for contact module for this.

You can download the file here.

Just replace index.php

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits