Was wondering if this can be done

Any help appreciated

gestroud
Re: Including Wikipedia page in xoops
  • 2006/4/24 14:37

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Kind of a vague question. What do you want to include? The text and images on the page? Shouldn't be a problems since their stuff is under a license that allows you to reprint it as long as you provide attribution.

Or do you mean that you want to frame one of their pages on your web site? Then take a look at some of these modules:

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/viewcat.php?cid=94

hooperman
  • 2006/4/24 14:51

• hooperman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/20

Thanks for the quick reply
Sorry for being a bit vague
Would ideally like to have the content incorporated into the site as a module (but without the left navigation blocks etc)that updates itself when new content is added to the Wikipedia site
I would like the links etc to be opened in my site aswell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_FC
is the page in question

I'm probably asking for too much so i guess i would have to make my own pages using their content
hope this makes sense

gestroud
  • 2006/4/24 15:41

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

I really don't think there's a way to include their page in your site without the left column. Too bad they don't provide an RSS feed per topic, but that would probably kill their database.

Options:

1. You could use a links module like mylinks or weblinks and have their page displayed in a frame on your site. You'd have to do some tweaking on the myheader.php file to make it look more presentable. You'd also probably be better off putting the link to the page in a custom block rather than allowing the module to display in your main menu. One problem with this method is that people will be able to sign in to Wikipedia, but it becomes a constant cycle of logging in everytime they change pages. There is a link of the frame header that allows it to be turned off.

2. You could use the tinycontent or edito module to wrap the Wikipedia page into your site. You'd need to make your left column invisible for the module, or you'll have a scroll bar at the bottom of your browser window.

I don't think the second option would make a very attractive presentation, but it will work. Best bet would be option 1.

gestroud

daibt
  • 2006/4/24 16:47

• daibt

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/3/26

hooperman
  • 2006/4/24 19:23

• hooperman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/20

Thank gestroud will keep those ideas on the back burner until i try the suggested wiki module

Login

Who's Online

121 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 121

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits