Bender
Revival of the docs section ... going wiki
  • 2006/4/23 10:41

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

To separate the docs discussion from the XOOPS management discussion.

Currently there is work going on lead by rowd to bring up a wiki for the XOOPS documentation area to get things going again.

Until that is opened to the public links to doc ressources can be found in this thread.

Source for this thread:

Quote:
jenclass wrote:
Quote:
But perhaps a wiki would be good for the future, (as a playground).

The docs wiki is coming...Rowd is slaving to get it ready for opening...the hold up has been structure; I have been editing...believe me we are working on it. It has only been happening in the last week or so but Rowd has indicated it's existence in other places I believe.

Quote:
rowd wrote:
I've been slaving at it since the middle of February, getting the work structures in place so that it's a useable tool for the whole international community, not just English speaking.

It's taken every non-working minute of my time, I've not had time for any coding, it's got me pretty stressed because it's still not ready for the community and I thank you Jenny wholeheartedly for all the help you've given me lately. Also MadFish, Robert and Herko have been a huge support, probably more than they realise.

But as you say Jen, it's nearly there, and I can't wait until it's the community who make decisions about the site and the docs, as it should be, and I can go back to coding

Rowd
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

rowdie
Re: Revival of the docs section ... going wiki
  • 2006/4/23 10:59

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Thankyou Bender, I hesitated about posting in the other thread, but the posts went in that direction and seemed to require a response.

Thanks for getting the original thread back on track

Rowd

wtravel

Can you elaborate in this thread on security of the wiki help docs?

Bender
  • 2006/4/23 11:24

• Bender

• Home away from home

From the learning experience of the past there should be backups available now i think. So a complete loss should be out of the question. (Brian, James ?)

However i guess wtravel you are aiming at the "moderated changes" or not question? Good one ...

To add one more question: Which Wiki is it gonna be? (wiwimod, Mediawiki ...)
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

rowdie
  • 2006/4/23 12:46

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

I'm using phppp's port of DokuWiki for the workspace/wiki part of the site, with a few modifications. The modifications are for language support (each page can have a version in any installed site language), and page templates (certain pages when newly created will be prefilled with text based on a template - like a new module details page, or module user guide for example).

The site is not actually just a wiki, there's more which you'll see soon enough. The main thing to remember about the wiki though is that it's a workspace, a place for the community to collaborate on writing documents. When finished, a doc will be made into DocBook XML sources, and an HTML version generated and placed online as a release candidate for the community to comment on. Once approved, it can be released as a final document which is viewable online or downloadable in different formats. So the actual wiki part is more of a temporary workspace, it's not intended to store the documents permanently.

That said, there is another role of the wiki, and that's to help translators. When a doc is released as final, the workspace version will be locked so no editing can be done. Then translators can create a page based on the locked page, with the text and layout brought into their new page, and hopefully this can help them to be able to collaboratively work on translations. I've just set up the initial structures, it will need involvement and feedback from people using these tools to know if it's really workable, and what needs to be changed.

So for security of the wiki section, well... certain pages will be locked, such as final docs and site info pages. The rest will be open to any registered user. It will be up to the community itself to check for abuse of the workspace, and to restore previous versions of pages if the current one had been abused. Deliberate abuse of the wiki will result in the user being banned. It's a serious issue if users deliberately destroy the work of others, so it should have serious consequences. There will also be regular backups made of course.

This is how it will be initially setup. Changes are always possible though, if discussions determine them necessary. There is a forum for every available site language too, so people can have discussions about documentation in their own native language. The goal is to make collaboration possible, not just within the English community but within the entire XOOPS community.

Rowd

wtravel

Sounds like a good module to me

rowdie
  • 2006/4/23 13:11

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Bender wrote:
From the learning experience of the past there should be backups available now i think. So a complete loss should be out of the question. (Brian, James ?)

One thing I should mention is that it's not an official XOOPS project. It's my personal project, for the XOOPS community. So Brian and James would probably know very little about it.

And as Skalpa said in his post, he wanted official recognition of the project, but didn't get it. I just wanted it done, so people can start using it.

Rowd

JMorris
  • 2006/4/23 13:45

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Sounds like an excellent work Rowd!

RE: Backups...

A simple shell script can backup the database and any static files, archive them, then copy them to a local backup directory as well as a directory on the other server. Not too difficult to do and it can be scheduled to run stagerred backups using cron (i.e.: nightly, weekly, monthly).

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Bender
  • 2006/4/23 14:06

• Bender

• Home away from home

Quote:
rowdie wrote:
One thing I should mention is that it's not an official XOOPS project. It's my personal project, for the XOOPS community. So Brian and James would probably know very little about it.

Rowd

Depending on how things develop here over the next days/weeks this should probably be changed if you support that.

Quote:
rowdie wrote:
I just wanted it done, so people can start using it.

Thats the spirit!

Quote:
jmorris wrote

RE: Backups...
A simple shell script can backup the database

Ahh ... James it was not meant as a 'how to' question. ROTFL

JMorris
  • 2006/4/23 14:19

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

LOL

That's what I get for posting on autopilot.

Honestly, I don't know if any current backups are available. You may want to contact Brian about this.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits