tognola
Need advise, crushing deadline, big client...
  • 2006/4/13 14:20

• tognola

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/3 1

Hi all,
Im the multimedia ,infographiste in an addvertising agency and we have a client of two alfa romeo garage websites given to us, "us"turns out to be "me" since our coder is gonne and I'm left with the only choice of using XOOPS to develop their website.

I have 2 months to develop, and since I dont have much experience in php, I consider myself (beginner intermidiate in LAMP), I think I'll have to hack my way out of this with a cms solution.

The problem Im facing has to do with languages, we are in Switzerland and as usually turns out, they want it in 4 languages, en it de fr...

I have seen that some of the language packages that work great and I could translate without a problem, but some modules for languages seem terribly unstable to engage in to the project.I might be better of translating the modules myself and cloning modules and tables.
I have even thought after arriving to the mainpage, be diverted from the chosen language to 4 different mirror XOOPS translated sites to avoid database, id, and module problems.

So, should I trust XOOPS as my solution or just go ahead and develop the whole thing from scratch?
xoops has done marvels for me so far, but I dont know at this point if I should trust my life to it...
any guidance will return sleep to my nights.

rabideau
Re: Need advise, crushing deadline, big client...
  • 2006/4/13 14:31

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

If you have the right XOOPS modules, I would trust my life to it and I do(14 sites and counting!).

Obviously some modules are more stable than others. If you look at the comments, ratings, etc. for each, that will provide a good start.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

davidl2
  • 2006/4/13 14:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

My personal choice for multi-language sites would be XLanguage... which can be found at www.xoopsforge.com

Other than suggesting you stick with XOOPS 2.0.13.2 for stability and expandibility, what sort of modules do you need for the site?

tognola
  • 2006/4/13 15:22

• tognola

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/3 1

Many thanks, I'll have a look... developing with XOOPS as oposed to coding the whole thing from scratch is the difference between making it to the deadline, my mind is almost made up for xoops. thanks for the advise guys

As for the modules , we are on hold,we are on information architecture phase; roughly though ,they will want some sort of catalog, that could be developed without great difficulty in php, but others like questionary forms directed to specific agents on the garage , calendars, and most importantly, a cms interface to be able to access content and phpmyadmin sort of page to handle clients etc...
I think XOOPS is great for that with some of the modules, like news, pical etc... I just don't think I can possibly develop that on my own in just a few months. I think
anyways, thanks, I'll keep posting on my progress

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits