Patrick71
Where's the "object orientation"?
  • 2006/4/10 12:06

• Patrick71

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/10

Hi,

I stumbled upon XOOPS while googling for object-oriented CMS...I just browsed around the site but didn't find any in-depth information about the object-oriented character of XOOPS. So, could anyone explain how and where XOOPS is OO?

Particularly, I didn't find any clue for essential OO features like:
- classes and instances
- methods in classes/objects
- inheritance upon classes, polymorphism
- encapsulation and abstraction

I'm sorry if I didn't dive into XOOPS enough to discover these features...*provokingly* or is the "OO" in XOOPS not really justified?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

oryxvet
Re: Where's the "object orientation"?
  • 2006/4/10 14:05

• oryxvet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/22

You can use and extend 2 master class in xoops. XoopsObject to describe an object and XoopsObjectHandler to handle the objects. You can see the XOOPS documentation about XoopsObject and XoopsObjectHandler features in :

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/phpwiki/index.php/XoopsObjectAndHandler

You can also download a module call "Oryxgen" witch can generate this 2 classes starting from a database table.
http://www.oryxvet.com/dev/upload/oryxgen_0.6.rar

Hope that helps

Patrick71
  • 2006/4/15 10:31

• Patrick71

• Just popping in

As the documentation is not too exhaustive - if I understand it correctly:
- I can extend these abstract classes, but can I also extend existing classes (i.e. types)? For example, can I extend XOBJ_DTYPE_INT to, say, XOBJ_DTYPE_SHORTINT?
- how can I add methods and variables to newly defined classes?
- and where's polymorphism, encapsulation and abstraction?

...what I mean: there's (much!) more to object orientation than just having 2 abstract classes...I was hoping to find a CMS that does have "real" OO onboard. Or maybe I'm just missing something here?

Herko
  • 2006/4/15 10:42

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

XOOPS started development in 2001, where the code was much more OO then all the existing *Nuke frameworks and portal systems. OO development has grown since then too.

If you want to take a look at some real new XOOPS code, I suggest you take a peek in the XOOPS 2.3 SVN. The XOOPS 2.3 code is much more OO then the current one.

Herko

Patrick71
  • 2006/4/15 11:00

• Patrick71

• Just popping in

Quote:

The XOOPS 2.3 code is much more OO then the current one.

Ok, if I understand you correctly: the OO is "inside" XOOPS and is not meant to be used by users who build websites with XOOPS? Let me put it another way: you only "see" the OO when you develop the XOOPS base system, but not if you are just "implement" websites?

What I'm looking for is a CMS where you (=the user) can define classes whose instances form the buildings blocks of the website, like you have a class "Text" and an instance "All about XOOPS" and a class "News" and an instance "XOOPS News", and each of these classes have methods and variables and classes can inherit from other classes.

Herko
  • 2006/4/15 11:06

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

XOOPS 2.0.x is a portal system with OO style code elements, not a full OO website framework. XOOPS 2.0 was never designed to be a real OO framework, even tho some steps have been taken to make it more OO then the other systems that were available. But basically, XOOPS 2.0 is an advanced portal script, a default dynamic website you can tweak to your liking.

XOOPS 2.3 has been designed from the start to be more a framework, ie. offering services through an API, that allows you to create your own website.

Herko

Herko
  • 2006/4/15 11:08

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

To extend on this more: XOOPS is not a Ruby on Rails application platform for PHP and MySQL. It looks like you're looking for a RoR type development framework.

Herko

Patrick71
  • 2006/4/15 11:16

• Patrick71

• Just popping in

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits