russtik
Site Migration: problem with 4 characters before doctype
  • 2006/3/21 11:28

• russtik

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/13

Hi,

I'm in the process of moving a XOOPS installation from one server to another. The database is now in situ on the new server and the site files have been uploaded. When accessing the site in a browser I noticed 4 characters appear first, those being 'wher'. Looking at the source reveals this:

wher<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this (and throwing IE into quirks mode!).

TIA.

peterr
Re: Site Migration: problem with 4 characters before doctype
  • 2006/3/21 11:44

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

It's probably simply a malformed php echo, instead of just html code, there is some garbage being echoed prior to the html tag.

Identify the php file that is doing this, then look for the 'header' code, it will be some garbage just before that, ata guess ??
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

russtik
Re: Site Migration: problem with 4 characters before doctype
  • 2006/3/21 12:07

• russtik

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/13

Hmmm, the site files are a straight copy of those on the (previously working fine) old server. So I don't see how any additional garbage could have got in echo statements? (or is that just a bad assumption?) I'm also not sure where to go looking to be honest.

[EDIT] Found the problem, it was the 4 chareacters 'wher' that had somehow been inserted before <?php in mainfile.php.

Login

Who's Online

242 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 242

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits