papabear91
Need to Port Old modified version of Xoops to new Version -- But IGNORANT :-( -- NEED HELP
  • 2006/3/4 1:23

• papabear91

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/3 1

We bought something called OpenSpace from PopScript.com a couple of months ago; which is made up of mostly XOOPS modules. I can't even tell what version -- the System Admin module says v1.01 (2002); which I don't know how that cooresponds to current XOOPS versioning. But I am pretty sure it is mostly XOOPS because when I go into the Administration section there are a bunch of modules and many of them have a eXoops button (likehttp://www.spirittag.com/buttons/XoopsButton.gif ) and when I look at the "info" for some of the modules like NewbbPlus I get a pop-up that has the info like "Newbb (E-Xoops 1.05 Rev3) with Group Auth, Attachments, Polls and more!" -- so I am guessing I have Xoops, but not a stanard version or a version that has been modified by PopScript.

Regardless, we wanted to upgrade the overall core system and modules so we can take advantage of the newer modules and be able to upgrade as new versions come out, but we don't have a lot of experience with XOOPS or PHP (we know some HTML and PHP, but not tons)! We are a "poor" all-volunteer group running a site for youth and young adults (with a slightly Christian bent, but open to all -- more focused on helping people through personal life experiences than anything else and building a community to provide an alternative to MySpace) -- www.SpiritTAG.com -- and are trying to find out where we could maybe get help figuring out how to upgrade our site -- and then also maybe get some minor help modifying a module or two (e.g. we want the ability for user's to add Comments to another person's Profile -- a biggy for us).

We don't have a lot of money, but can probably scrap up something. Sooooo, anyone that wants to contact us about helping us upgrading our version to the latest XOOPS or suggestions on where we can get some reliable help with all this, would be greatly appreciated. We are starting to get a lot of people on our site (only been up for 2 months) but we know that there are some really good updates to modules we could use -- if we only had a little help. So HELP PLEASE We believe we have a really great site for young people, but we are struggling as we are at a loss on how to proceed. Thanks ~PapaBear

rabideau
Re: Need to Port Old modified version of Xoops to new Version -- But IGNORANT :-( -- NEED HELP
  • 2006/3/4 2:45

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Hello Papabear,

It may be that your site is actually an old eXoops site. I don't know for sure. However, if it is a version 1 XOOPS site, it is truly ancient.

If you want a little help PM me and we can chat about what you need. I do some pro-bono Web work for folks involved in good causes... so long as it's easy!
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

davidl2
Re: Need to Port Old modified version of Xoops to new Version -- But IGNORANT :-( -- NEED HELP
  • 2006/3/4 2:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

A very nicely looking site - but I do suspect it could be eXoops (which is a fork of XOOPS v1) based ... it should be posssible to port it to XOOPS 2.0 - but you may also need to convert a couple of the modules over possibly....

Not impossible - but this may not be an easy task.

(However, the modules - if converted - could be a nice addition to XOOPS )

papabear91
  • 2006/3/4 7:15

• papabear91

• Just popping in

Thanks for the compliment. Most of it was what we got from PopScript (though I think we go taken on that one -- but what can a drunken sailor expect -- only joking). Then we modified a bunch of it to make it more our own -- that is primarily to my partner in crime Erick -- who has played with HTML and PHP -- but admittedly no expert. We are providing a service to primarily youth and young adult -- though bibically-based, we are trying to appeal to all youth as our objective is to help them deal with their daily problems through sharing of our own personal experiences.

As you say, I think the implementation we got was very old (probably 2002) and we are not in the position of trying to figure how to get modernize so we can provide the type of capability to keep kids coming back to our site. We do not presume to compete with MySpace, but my partner (a 21 year old himself) and I (and old 50+ guy) would like to provide a "safer" alternative for youth and young adults where they can help answer the difficult problems that they face each day.

We just aren't that technically competent and are looking for help in getting us to a point where we can maintain the site with a more recent implentation. So any help you, or anyone else wants to give us would be greatly appreciated -- I hate to come with hat in hand looking for help -- but we realize that XOOPS is probably the best route to meet our needs, and unfortunately we are not adequately capable to pull it off by ourselves.

Thanks for your, and anyone else's, support of what we feel is an alternative for our youth and young adult as they explore and utilize the internet. Peter "PapaBear"

Jharis
  • 2006/3/4 7:36

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

papabear91,

I can't convert mods for you but I am wiling to help answer questions if able.

I might try as suggested in this post to setup a sub domain, install and setup XOOPS to your liking then start porting information over.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

papabear91
  • 2006/3/6 23:55

• papabear91

• Just popping in

Thanks Don for the suggestion. The problem I have is that neither myself, or the other guy that runs the site are real PHP or MySQL experts. Just what we pick up here and there from playing with it. The site is hosted on Godaddy.com and they have an installation of XOOPS 2.2.4 on it that I can easily install -- so that would be easy -- in fact, already have done it -- but the problem is that what I really need help doing is to 1) install the equivalent modules to what I currently have on the old v1.0 install; 2) make the modifications to the new install to match the changes made to the old install (using winmerge or something similar should make this not too difficult (we could help with that to some degree); and 3) when the new installation is ready, to transfer over all the old data (users, passwords, forum stuff, etc.) to the new install (from one MySQL to the other). We don't want to lose the community members we already have.

I would be willing to pay someone to do this -- don't have a lot, but can scrap together some funds. Also, one big thing we are trying to get is the ability for members to leave "comments" on the Profile of another member -- sort of like MySpace. This would require modifying the Profile code itself.

So, if anyone out there wants an interesting challenge; wants to help out a non-profit targeted at youth and young adults, and make a few bucks on the side -- PLEASE let me know.

papabear91
  • 2006/3/7 21:07

• papabear91

• Just popping in

At this stage, our main concern is getting the site so members can leave "Comments" on other member's Profiles -- sort of like MySpace. So if someone wants to take a stab at this and I can worry about upgrading versions later -- that would be great. Again, I can fund a little work, but really need this Comment thingy soon. Thanks

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits