1
Hikaru
Porting Mods To XOOPS
  • 2006/3/1 21:16

  • Hikaru

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 19

  • Since: 2006/2/23


How easy is it to port a mod (modification) in XOOPS?

I have phpBB standalone, and want to use some of the modifcations on my XOOPS site.

2
seventhseal
Re: Porting Mods To XOOPS

If you mean convert the entire application phpBB to a XOOPS module, then...

It depends on the complexity, and this would be big. If the mod has it's own user authentication system. If it uses a database that can be easily merged. the coding part is also big. You can use the builtin routines of XOOPS for things like forms, database access, etc - or you can use what's in phpBB.

there are just a lot of variables, so it's not as easy as yes or no.
John Horne - a.k.a. - VelocityWebDev, Seventhseal, CreepingDeath
**********************************
VelocityWebDev Tech BLOG
VelocityWebHost Hosting and Design

3
Hikaru
Re: Porting Mods To XOOPS
  • 2006/3/2 0:28

  • Hikaru

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 19

  • Since: 2006/2/23


Quote:

seventhseal wrote:
If you mean convert the entire application phpBB to a XOOPS module, then...

It depends on the complexity, and this would be big. If the mod has it's own user authentication system. If it uses a database that can be easily merged. the coding part is also big. You can use the builtin routines of XOOPS for things like forms, database access, etc - or you can use what's in phpBB.

there are just a lot of variables, so it's not as easy as yes or no.

I am talking about modifing a modification made for the standaole phpBB that I want to add to the XOOPS's phpBB module.

How hard or easy is it to modify it for it to work with the XOOPS's version of phpBB?

4
Lance_
Re: Porting Mods To XOOPS
  • 2006/3/2 0:32

  • Lance_

  • Home away from home

  • Posts: 983

  • Since: 2004/1/12


I think you'll have a better chance of an answer on bbpixel.com
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

5
davidl2
Re: Porting Mods To XOOPS
  • 2006/3/2 9:31

  • davidl2

  • XOOPS is my life!

  • Posts: 4843

  • Since: 2003/5/26


Yes, it's definately worth checking on http://www.bbpixel.com - I think the odd thing may be working already?

6
Hikaru
Re: Porting Mods To XOOPS
  • 2006/5/3 7:13

  • Hikaru

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 19

  • Since: 2006/2/23


Is there anybody else that could help this my question?

I have asked on the before mentioned forum, but it seems that the phpbb side of the forums there is neglected and being treated like a rabid step-child.

IS there any sites that offer add-ons for Xoops, that I may go to or is there any add-ons for the forums that anybody know of?

Please somebody help a future XOOPS user out.

7
Hikaru
Re: Porting Mods To XOOPS
  • 2006/5/3 16:09

  • Hikaru

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 19

  • Since: 2006/2/23


What I am trying to do is I have a heavily modified phpBB forum, and I want to bring the mods I have over to XOOPS to use with the phpBB module that is out there for Xoops.

Otherwise if I switch to XOOPS and do not have the ability to port over my mods, my site will be dumbed down dramatically and lose alot of its functionailty. As the mods I have on my site is related to the type of site I have.

Now do not get me wrong, I can do the work myself, but I guess I am trying to find out what exactly has to change and what I would have to do to make my phpBB mods work with the any of the phpBB modules for Xoops.