gestroud
Writers community: Can any of our modules do this?
  • 2006/2/19 2:01

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

I've been looking at a way to spruce up a writers' community I maintain. One piece of software I came across is efiction. They have a demo here.

While it's not really comparable to XOOPS, it does offer some interesting features. I know that XOOPS can accomplish some of them, but I not sure about all of them.

Feature List:

Categories:
you can have only one category, or as many as you want, including sub-categories. Categories were written with the intention that they would indicate different fandoms, or categories of story. XOOPS modules can do this with topics, so that's no problem.

Characters: Intended to mean the characters that fall within that fandom or category. Is this possible with XOOPS?

Genres: Genres include such things as Action, Romance, Poetry, Folk, Angst, or whatever makes the most sense within your fandom or types of stories. Seems to be redundant

Ratings: Basic ratings could be G, PG, PG-13, and so on, but you could also do ratings as Child, Youth, Adult and so on, or whatever makes the most sense to you. You can set specific ratings to have different access levels if you choose. In addition to making stories visible to the public (the default), you may set ratings to be for members only, require an age consent verification, or both. I know AMS can do this, but I still have the problem with Magic Quotes.

Warnings: Warnings are intended to be used to help indicate certain things about stories that you may want to warn readers of, such as rape, male/male sex, and so on. The Warnings field doesn't have to be used for warnings -- it could be used for Languages, or whatever you wanted. Another AMS feature possibly

Series: Series are collections of related stories by the same or multiple authors. A story and its sequels, for example. Series might also be used for a "shared universe" in which multiple authors write. The person who creates the series is considered the series "owner" and controls whether or not the series is "open" to contributions by other authors or not. Even if the series is "closed", the series owner has the option to include stories from other authors in the series. This seems to only be possible with the various XOOPS blogs, though I have a feeling I may be wrong. Does anyone know?

Challenges: Challenges are ideas/wishes for stories that a member or an anonymous visitor "challenges" authors to write. Stories written in response to the challenge can be listed under the challenge by the story author or an admin. Could this be something I could use the AMS/newbb feature for. I seem to remember someone saying that the News module has that feature coming. Any updates on that? Do any of our article/news modules have a featur that can accomplish this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

gestroud

gestroud
Re: Writers community: Can any of our modules do this?
  • 2006/2/19 2:39

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Here's another couple of questions:

I've never worked with a wiki module, so I don't know much about them. Do they work? Would they work for the situation I explained?

gestroud
  • 2006/2/23 14:46

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Could somebody PLEASE give me a hand with this?

davidl2
  • 2006/2/23 14:54

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

So basically you need a fanfiction module - with ratings, character links etc...?

I was after this for some time - then unfortunately as I couldnt find one, the project I needed it for collapsed

However - the closest I think to it would possibly be Phppp's Article module - with some extra work. It can allow material to appear in multiple categories, and I think it may act as a good base for what you are after.

gestroud
  • 2006/2/23 15:18

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Thank you very, very much, david.

Have you any experience with any of the wiki modules? The users are looking for a collaborative fiction module and it appears to me that a wiki mod would work best, but I've never used any. Do you know which ones work by any chance?

davidl2
  • 2006/2/23 15:20

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I take it you mean for multi-part stories? A Wiki would perhaps be the best for this, although I still think Article for standard ones.... Phppp has done some good work with Wordpress recently at http://www.xoopsforge.com - perhaps experiment with this one?

If this was a commerical project - you may get someone to develop one of the section type modules further - but this would need some extensive changes, or a module written directly for Fanfic - so I can't see it being done for free

davidl2
  • 2006/2/23 15:26

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Storyline was started work as a XOOPS module a very long time ago and in the same link a mention of eFiction was mentioned as a XOOPS conversion.

The latest eFiction update mentions an SMF link and also a nuke link - so perhaps connecting this with XOOPS may not be impossible, if you can get someone to do the bridging code...

gestroud
  • 2006/2/23 15:57

• gestroud

• Home away from home

May I run this by you and you can tell me what you think?

1. I need a section "On Writing." I can use the news module for that.

2. Completed articles & series with ratings, levels, categories. I was originally going to use AMS for this, but I like your suggestion for the Articles modules - seems right for the job.

3. Works in progress & collaborative fiction & story tweaking Thinking about using a wiki for this.

4. Neverending Tales A section where users contribute a sentence to complete a tale. Probably just use forum threads for this.

Sorry for bugging people with this, but I need to think/talk this little challenge out and I don't know too many people who are familiar with XOOPS.

Thanks,
gestroud

davidl2
  • 2006/2/23 16:00

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

1. I need a section "On Writing." I can use the news module for that.

Or perhaps SmartSection / Article or others - but yes - News should do it as well.

Quote:
2. Completed articles & series with ratings, levels, categories. I was originally going to use AMS for this, but I like your suggestion for the Articles modules - seems right for the job.

I'm not sure about ratings, but I think Article (Phppp's Article module - I'm not sure about the other one) would do most of this

Quote:

3. Works in progress & collaborative fiction & story tweaking Thinking about using a wiki for this.

This may work

Quote:

4. Neverending Tales A section where users contribute a sentence to complete a tale. Probably just use forum threads for this.

Again this may work - but perhaps some degree of moderation so only the accepted sentence would be released... or perhaps not... sometimes "wild posts" can be more entertaining

It may some tweaking with themes and templates to get things looking neat together - but it sounds like a workable plan.

davidl2
  • 2006/2/23 16:01

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

(It would be nice if we could get a bridge done for the fanfic program though )

Login

Who's Online

429 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 429

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits