areaten
Getting a block to appear within a page
  • 2006/2/18 1:40

• areaten

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/9 1

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post this but..

I'm using News 1.44 and want it's Recent News block to appear within some static page.

Basically what I'm trying to do is have several sub-homepages with a Recent News block appearing on each showing recent news from the different news categories. Each subhomepage has it's own News category so the idea is to have Recent News block showing the news for respective categories.

Any suggestions?

areaten
Re: Getting a block to appear within a page
  • 2006/2/18 1:49

• areaten

• Just popping in

to maybe make a bit clearer what I'm after..

is it possible to have a block appearing on particular pages rather than across the whole module?

Thanks

Will_H
  • 2006/2/18 2:43

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

it absolutely is possible... Just go into blocks admin and you can hold down ctrl and select which indidvidual pages you want it to display in. however you, only get so many "Recent News" Blocks. 1 if I recall :) If you are patient however I believe that this is being worked on.

So you would have to utilize the other blocks that come with your news modules. Also there is the option to display your news in a custom block.

areaten
  • 2006/2/18 3:26

• areaten

• Just popping in

Thanks Biteronboard for quick response but I already checkde this and the pages I want to have the blocks appear on are not in the list, instead there is just an option for 'All module pages' which I don't want.

It's a new site I'm working on and I'm just laying out the structure before any content.

The sub-homepages at the moment are actually just articles in 'XF section' that I want seperate news blocks appearing on.. but maybe I am approaching this the wrong way.

Is there a way to add pages to the 'visible in' option of blocks admin?

Or a way to include a block within a XF section page?

Or a better way to make sub-homepages?

I'm after a website that has departments with their own front pages and showing only the latest news from their respective categories.

Sorry if I wasn't clear initially

Clever
  • 2006/2/18 5:58

• Clever

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/24

I think I understand what you're trying to do...
Have you considered using the Magazine module for your needs? I did something similar on one of my sites, and it worked pretty well. Check it out here:
Peterborough Shopper
You can simply click on "Magazine" in the main menu and you'll get a good idea of how it works.
Please excuse the unfinished site! Most is done, but there are still things to finish.
Hope that helps!
Lisa

areaten
  • 2006/2/22 4:52

• areaten

• Just popping in

Thanks for the pointer Lisa, that module seems to be more of what I was after. I really like it's ability to have different html templates for each article.
Just tweaking it now, hopefully it will work!

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits