jsdev2006
does xoops have everything i need
  • 2006/2/20 9:38

• jsdev2006

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/18

Hi,
i need the following things from a cms/forum:

(1) a good forum which does not need technical knowledge(php/xoops code) to administer
(2) some users should be able to upload images and text onto the site, be it on the forum or on any other page(some other module), preferably on the forum itself
(3) a wiki
and,
(4) compulsorily should be able to run on php in CGI mode

For (2) is CBB good enough?
For (3) currently there is no XOOPS module, but there is one project to merge mediawiki with XOOPS in beta stage, i found it in the modules list. can you run mediawiki with XOOPS apart from this project?

Most importantly,
can anyone tell me whether (4) will be satisfied fully, or some parts will not work in CGI, or whether it depends on my particular installation?

it seems CBB uses NetPBM/ImageMagick. are these necessary ? I can get them easily on my WinXP Pro development machine and test them, but what if my shared hosting provider does not have them?
If i am not wrong, at least simple upload and display of images does not need these extensive image manipulation libraries? or does it?

TIA,
JS

MadFish
Re: does xoops have everything i need
  • 2006/2/20 10:31

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

1. Yes - CBB.
2. Yes - it is good.
3. There are several Wikis, have a look in the module repository.
4. Can't help you with this one.

Quote:
it seems CBB uses NetPBM/ImageMagick. are these necessary ? I can get them easily on my WinXP Pro development machine and test them, but what if my shared hosting provider does not have them?

I think CBB only uses these only for automatically resizing /thumbing user-posted images. If you don't want that feature, you don't need it.

Quote:
If i am not wrong, at least simple upload and display of images does not need these extensive image manipulation libraries? or does it?

Yes. However, the main hazard in letting people upload images is that they will post one that is very wide and blow your site layout apart. You can restrict the dimensions of images in the preferences, but a lot of users don't know how to resize images manually (or can't be bothered). You're better off having them, IMHO.

McNaz
Re: does xoops have everything i need
  • 2006/2/20 10:55

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:

(4) compulsorily should be able to run on php in CGI mode

Xoops has no problem with this as I run XOOPS on a Lighttpd server using php-cgi via spawn-fcgi (serving up www.digibusters.com).

Cheers.

McNaz.

jsdev2006
Re: good backup tool
  • 2006/2/21 12:30

• jsdev2006

• Just popping in

thanks MadFish and McNaz.

Another question I have:

Is there a robust module to do a proper backup of the MySQL db
and the config files. e.g. Even if I add several modules, the backup utility should be able to create data-dumps or sql-format data backup files and should be runnable from a single button press from the admin menu + maybe unix cron job. Is there such a module already? OR is it really enough to just run MySQL's data backup utility. I have personally seen that unless you know the MySQL data backup tool properly, you cannot get a decent SQL-compliant datadump. I mean you get problems like
(a) charset gets modified
(b) insert queries on child table appear before insert queries on Parent table (in a foreign key scenario)
(c) back-ticks appear instead of quotes
(d) back-ticks appear where not needed -i.e. insert queries, table names
etc.

any links to any module (or MySQL databackup utility)?

TIA,
JS

jsdev2006
Re: good backup tool
  • 2006/2/21 16:02

• jsdev2006

• Just popping in

Hi,
found what i was looking for:

The pagehttps://xoops.org/modules/repository/viewcat.php?cid=17 has a list of db backup modules.

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=17&lid=1115
seems to be good

JS

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits