deram
What does "private forum" mean?
  • 2006/2/11 1:48

• deram

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/10

I have made several forums and there are severa ltest topics and posts in each.

However, when I go to the admin menu and try to set "permission for private forum", it says that I don't have any private forums. I have tried searching for "private forums" here, but haven't found an explanation yet.

Thx.

iHackCode
Re: What does "private forum" mean?

when in the forum admin menu for adding forums. it would be the "Type:" setting. it is either "public" or "private".
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

deram
  • 2006/2/12 13:13

• deram

• Just popping in

Thx, now I found it.

I have one question:

Resized Image

You posted this img. to explain to me about permissions, but I haven't been able to find anywhere like this.

The closest is this:

[img=http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/6858/forumperm8rg.th.gif]

I am using NewBB which is standard in XOOPS 2.0.13.2. If you could tell me where you found your "permissions"?

davidl2
  • 2006/2/12 13:27

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

If you are only using newbb - then you're better upgrading to CBB - which can be found either at the repository here or at: www.xoopsforge.com

Amongst other nice features, it also gives you better permission controls

deram
  • 2006/2/13 8:20

• deram

• Just popping in

OK, how about security issues and bug issues.

NewBB seems to run smoothly, but it seems there are lacking abit on the permissions side. Seems there isn't really any permissions control at all for public forums and after all the majority of forums on the internet are public forums - and invision, vbulletin, phpbb etc. all mainly are public and have lost of permissions settings.

If CBB is;
1. At least as secure to use as newBB.
2. Bug free like NewBB.
and,
3. Easy to install.

- I will no doubt go and change to CBB.

Please enlighten me a bit on these points. Thx!

tzvook
  • 2006/2/13 12:11

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Hello deram

From my upgrading expirience, the CBB is by far supirior then the newBB and is very easy to upgrade from the NewBB.
I upgraded in 2 sites without any problem, just remember to make a backup in case of...
read the upgrade instruction before you do the upgrade process.

About bugs: I didn't found any ...
About security: phppp is very aware of security issues as you can see from his posts in this forum and is updating the CBB on regular basis (what is not true about the NewBB which is abandom).

deram
  • 2006/2/14 0:18

• deram

• Just popping in

OK, thx for the info. Sounds easy to install. I have never installed anything but a couple of themes and they were easy to install - I hope this is just as easy.

Good to hear it is not buggy.

Just 2 questions regarding security.

1. I have a friend and she started out with a XOOPS site. she liked it, and after a while she changed her forum from NewBB to PhpBB and her site was hacked shortly after.

I have very rarely heard of security issues with NewBB. I hear it was abandoned, but on the other hand if security is near perfect and there are no bug then we don't need it updated for those reasons. only reasons would be additional features. I have to value security very highly.

So, do you know if CBB is built in phpBB and has just as many security issues as PhpBB?

If I said that NewBB is a very secure, simple BB with little support. And CBB is a more comprehensive yet less secure, but has more support, so the security issues are be worked on continuously.

Would that be a correct description?

PS. Does anyone know which CBB-version is recommended for 2.0.13.02 ? I don't really need state o the art, I just need NO BUGS and FULL SECURITY.

davidl2
  • 2006/2/14 0:38

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

CBB was developed by one of the main programmers of Newbb - so it is more secure than the older module.

Think of CBB as being SuperNewbb if you like

Phpbb is not a native XOOPS module, and therefore is not as easy to update and fix if any issues arrive.

The latest release of CBB can be found at: www.xoopsforge.com - the devlopers website. The version you need is 1.16 (which is for XOOPS 2.0.13.2)

deram
  • 2006/2/14 0:41

• deram

• Just popping in

Perfect! Thanks, David.

I will download it and hopefully the install instructions are in the download.

Thx

davidl2
  • 2006/2/14 0:42

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Just remember my rule: Backup first... espcially the database (Better safe than sorry!)

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits