wil23
IE and XOOPS Core mis-rendering DIV element
  • 2006/2/9 9:03

• wil23

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/23

Hi,

I've been working hard on this a XOOPS based site and I've run into a tiny and incredibly annoying little bug. I'm using a java/css powered menu supplied by a 3rd party. It takes a regular UL list with certain style elements, a couple of java scripts intercept the style elements and re-render the list it into a nice, horizontal, minimalist menu. Part of the menu has a selection block that follows a mouse cursor as it runs along the menu.

I made a new theme which includes only this menu to help me iscolate the bug. Firefox and IE both produce the same source files however IE is somehow making the DIV which includes the top and bottom boarders 3 pixels smaller than Firefox, meaning the cute little menu looks ... well, stupid. The selection block is larger than its rails.

Essentially I am now sure that something in the XOOPS core is interfering with the way the menu works as the only time the menu fails to render properly in IE is when XOOPS requires the three core files: mainfile.php, header.php and footer.php.

My index, mainfile, header and footer files are all stock standard 2.2.3, i'm using php5.0.5 and i've tried it on my ms winxp pro laptop (XAMPP w/ apache 2.0.55, MySQL 5.0.15-nt ) and a Redhat based professionally managed webserve. Both have the same problem.

I'm not a samurai code machine, but i'm thinking that something in XOOPS core is changing the way IE renders the webpage. I've really tried hard to find out about this, i've spent 6+ hours working on it and i'm beginning to think i'm ever stupider than I thought I was.

Please, if you've any ideas what I could try to fix this let me know.

wil23
Re: IE and XOOPS Core mis-rendering DIV element
  • 2006/2/9 9:22

• wil23

• Just popping in

I just wanted to add that it does work perfectly in Firefox and looks great. IE only has issues when wrapped by XOOPS even when the theme is stripped back to only include the menu in question and there are no other HTML elements.

The page source still looks like a UL list, so the Java is handling it after XOOPS produces the webpage I guess?

I thought about trying to include the menu in the header instead of in the template, or something like that. I'm just to the point where I'll try anything.

I don't know java or i'd probably be trying to edit the javascript (written by someone else) to add deal with IE as a special case or something.

Another option might be to have a 2nd CSS class and run an IF statement with php to choose the 2nd class if the browser is IE and hack it out that way.

I just don't know :(

incama
  • 2006/2/9 9:22

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Well it's difficult to judge if there is no link of the problem. In all of the years I have made XOOPS themes, I haven't noticed anythink you mention. Give us a link, so we can dig;)
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

wil23
  • 2006/2/9 9:28

• wil23

• Just popping in

heh, yeah i guess i was trying to avoid that but you're of course correct, pretty hard to make a suggestion when you can't see what I'm doing.

http://70.86.105.156/

Please bare in mind it's just a dev site, I'm producing it for a friends world of warcraft guild. However I was going to be using this menu in a Web Radio Station site I've been asked to work on, since I apart from this I really dig it.

wil23
  • 2006/2/9 11:14

• wil23

• Just popping in

I've since fixed this to make it work, but i'm still unhappy with it.

I eventually used the following code to call an alternate CSS tag for IE browsers:

<{php}>
if (
ereg'MSIE ([0-9].[0-9]{1,2})',$HTTP_USER_AGENT,$log_version)) {
  include 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH.'/nav/css4ie.php';
}
<{/
php}>

While it works, I'm still stumped as to why I had to make this change.

Mantooth
  • 2006/2/9 17:11

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

is your problem the same as the problem mentioned in this thread?

I hate Mortal Kombat

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits