bizygal
GoDaddy host installed for me - Now what?
  • 2006/1/19 16:55

• bizygal

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/19

BACKGROUND:
My domain playlotteryusa.com is hosted by GoDaddy.com, XOOPS is one of their free installations. I clicked the install button on my domain control panel, everything installed successfully... I had no clue what to do next, my website looks the same as before XOOPS install.

I looked through the XOOPS directory and found html/index.php which brought me to the Adminstration section. I looked at every link and modified things, no problems...

PROBLEM:
I don't know where to find any pages OR how to create any pages.

Does XOOPS automatically create a default index page, if so, where is it? How do I view my very first web page? What do I have to do to create new pages. Do all XOOPS pages need to be within a certain directory?

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
I've looked through my XOOPS directories, FAQ and boards and have read installation tutorials - I have found nothing that explains how to view or create web pages.

Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Lisa

msdana
Re: GoDaddy host installed for me - Now what?
  • 2006/1/19 16:58

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Hi Lisa,

I found this link when I was just starting out. It's a little old, but I found it useful.

http://www.macambridge.com/dummies/

Hope that helps!
Dana
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

bizygal
  • 2006/1/19 19:06

• bizygal

• Just popping in

Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that GoDaddy automatically installed the XOOPS 2.2 version.

I've read the entire 'dummies' info on the link you provided. There is lots of info about settings, comments, users, mail etc. but nowhere did I find information about how to make a web page or how to make your XOOPS site active so the world can see. I know that when I understand how to make individual pages, I'll be well on my way because I totally understand all of the settings and also understand the things that all of the install tutorials have taught me.

Do you have any more advice?

Lisa

guardian2k1

You may also want to try downloading the tutorials here
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk/
"Linux is extremely user-friendly. It also happens to be extremely selective when picking its friends."

http://www.nuxified.com |http://debcentral.org

shalommemphi

godaddy has a phone number for technical assistance, they should direct you in getting your (FREE SOFTWARE) in this case XOOPS correctly installed. If it was installed correctly, you would have set up your master webmaster login name and account and then gotten into your main XOOPS standard page.

It sounds like you have not yet run the XOOPS setup yet, and their tech department should point you in the right way!
Helping each other with Knowledge

bizygal
  • 2006/1/19 20:29

• bizygal

• Just popping in

Thanks, I will call GoDaddy.

Yes I have run setup last night (with the GoDaddy install button). It asked me a couple of questions and I clicked next a couple of times.

The main thing that XOOPS allowed me to do is create a username and password for the administration section. I can view all links in administration sectoin and edit the way pages look, mail, users, profiles, etc... but nowhere does it show me where my homepage is or how to make any pages. I have now read 4 text tutorials on installation of XOOPS and plus I am in the midst of my second flash tutorial.

What is the link of the first page that XOOPS automatically creates? is it something like www.yoursite.com/index.php ?

Thanks for all of your replies. Hope this problem is solved soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Lance_
  • 2006/1/19 20:32

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Did you specify a folder name in which the installation would be done??
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

bizygal
  • 2006/1/19 20:37

• bizygal

• Just popping in

Yes, the folder name is xoops

There are several folders and lots of .php .css etc files within the /xoops directory. I have looked at most of them. I have read all of the .doc files for installation with no luck.

Each folder within the XOOPS directory has a file named index but none of those seem to be the web page designed for users to view.

Lisa

guardian2k1

I think you maybe getting a little confused. In order to create pages you must install modules that allow you to create content. For instance, the news module will allow you to post news items to your homepage. The articles module will allow you to write articles on subjects. The link I gave you contained tutorials on creating custom blocks, configuring modules and customising XOOPS to your needs.

Xoops 2.2 itself does not contain many modules by default but a quick search on xoops.org for the community pack will solve this.
"Linux is extremely user-friendly. It also happens to be extremely selective when picking its friends."

http://www.nuxified.com |http://debcentral.org

Lance_
  • 2006/1/19 20:53

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

And the url should then be playlotteryusa.com/xoops/ ??

No pages are accessible through it. Another url or else the thing is not properly installed.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits