• Since: 2006/1/2 2

I'm using CBB 2.32a, the problem is I have my cateogories setup like this:

Site info
Hardware
Software
Games
Moderators *
Staff **

The issue lies in where Moderators and Staff need to be hidden (no view) from registered/anon users. Staff hidden from moderators. Staff view all. Permissions are Users can add topics, edit their posts, no polls, can vote (in case the staff wants to do that), no deletion, no attachment. Moderators can delete/change other posts, can't delete/change in moderator categories. Staff everything else but in Staff category. Webmasters (ME) anything everywhere.

It's easy right? I setup all of the groups (I did however by mistake delete the moderator group but made a group called "Forum Moderators." I've set everyone's permissions for the forums. The problem is the Moderators can see the moderator category (which is a good thing), but none of the forums. I don't know what's causing this. They don't show up as moderators on the forum list, but show up as regular users. Regular users can't see the category "Moderators."

Help is needed, and if a member of Xoops.org itself (staff member or whatever) I will give them an account with full rights on the site should they want to take a look (and maybe set it up for me). I've been having troubles with this CMS and I'm determined to get it working.

Will_H
Re: Issue with assigning groups
  • 2006/1/7 17:08

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Sounds like a group issue.

couple notes

never have a user in more than one group.

the term moderator is a forum thing... if you set a user the moderator of a forum that does not mean he has moderator access to all the forums.. so if you want your moderators to have their own forums, you will need to create a group for them and only them. This can get tricky, because often you have moderators that need access to features that another group has. but you dont want every user from that group to have access to it. ahh! saavy?

what i am trying to say is that, your groups are the key. and on top of creating and assigning and granting access, you then have to go back and do it all again just for your modules like forums and news....

its extensive and time consuming. sometimes you will find that you need a user to have crossover access. thus you create a new group.

Tricks of the trade...
Blocks Admin <-- its a module
Patience <-- its a virtue :)

jdseymour

Bitteronboard, you can use custom groups but you have to use them properly, But you are right moderator is a rank not a group.

When using custom groups remember that you will use them for added (extra) permissions above the registered users group. In other words, all users are members of the registered users group for basic permissions, add the user to the custom group and give permissions you want only that user to have. (You may need to edit the registered users group to remove that permission to a module or block as they are assigned access by default.)

Now with the forum, and you have your groups set up correctly, for the moderator group you would give them and the webmaster group access rights to the moderator category only. Same for staff for the staff category. Forum permissions would just include the respective custom group and webmaster, no other group should have any access here.

HTH.

Will_H
  • 2006/1/7 17:21

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

I have noticed that with cbb, you dont have to grant the webmaster any priveledges. I have tried and tried to make forums invisible for webmasters and users with forum admin, but no matter what. I always had them. I am not sure if it is different in the latest vers. Just something I noticed.

phppp
  • 2006/1/7 18:15

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Biteronboard wrote:
I have tried and tried to make forums invisible for webmasters and users with forum admin, but no matter what. I always had them.

webmasters and forum admins have admin right for the module by nature, which makes assigning or changing access for them useless and meaningless.
It is designed in this way, which is logically correct, I think.

Will_H
  • 2006/1/7 19:05

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

Logic by definition is based on perception.

mlw4428
  • 2006/1/7 22:04

• mlw4428

• Just popping in

so what if I setup an admin account on my site? does someone wanna like do this for me...as I've just gotten confused as to what I need to do.

jdseymour

Don't really have the time this evening, but if you still need help when I return home from work tomorrow I will be happy to help.

mlw4428
  • 2006/1/7 23:04

• mlw4428

• Just popping in

Thanks...I've gotten stuck on this particular issue and I can't seem to resolve where my logic clashes with the system. Every bit of help is appreciated btw, so thanks to anyone who's helped me before as well.

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits