Bananadude
Free Webhosts
  • 2005/12/4 10:20

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/16

It's allways a good idea to finish your website as much as possible before you go for a paid webhost. You can either develope it locally or choose a free webservice, but it's sometimes very difficult to find one that is not a hoax.

Please post free webhosts here that fit the xoops-requirements (of course).
--- censored by Bananadude ---

Bananadude
Re: Free Webhosts
  • 2005/12/4 10:21

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

100WEBSPACE

Data storage: 100 MB
Monthly bandwidth: 3 GB
Database: 1 MySQL database
Script: PHP, Perl

Subdomain: 5 subdomains
Forced Ads: Banner
Statistics: Yes
SSL: Yes

Full feature list:http://www.100webspace.com/freeplan.html
Signup:http://www.100webspace.com/signup.html

terrion
  • 2005/12/4 11:23

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

As most any reasonable person knows, free really never means free.

But if someone needs a bit of space for site development I'm always open to a discussion. Especially if we could work out some trade for theme/graphic development.
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

Bananadude
  • 2005/12/22 9:55

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
terrion wrote:
As most any reasonable person knows, free really never means free.

your wrong, but you have to know what to search for and many of those (most of them) is just a "joke" or sites that exists for a week or so, and after then their gone.
But honesty do exist to

I would never choose a free webhost for a business-site or something, but they are just fine for personal sites, small- and middel siezed sites or for testing-purposes/developing before your site goes live.

Best Regards,
Bananadude

erzon
  • 2005/12/22 10:24

• erzon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/1 3

well i do provide free web hosting

50 mb
3gb bandwidth
no ads
php, sql
online file manager

http://www.hackside.com

terrion
  • 2005/12/27 7:20

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

Quote:

Bananadude wrote:
your wrong, but you have to know what to search for...

I'm sure you're right. Being wrong so often I quit letting it get to me years ago.

Quote:

Bananadude wrote:
I would never choose a free webhost for a business-site or something, but they are just fine for personal sites, small- and middel siezed sites or for testing-purposes/developing before your site goes live.

I'm still struggling with the whole free concept.

One day not so long ago I was logged in as administrator on my Windows 2000 machine. Somehow I got the urge to go visit a friends new website hosted on a free server. The website worked perfectly. So did the web hosts ability to dump hundreds of spy/tracking/popup programs into my vulnerable system, the system I actually use to earn a living.

Obviously I was the one at fault. I should have logged out of Administrator, and into a "safe" profile before leaving the safety of my lan. That 2 minutes on my friends free site cost me many hours of unproductive time running spyware scans.

My friend is still using his free web host and claims to have never had a problem with it. For him I guess it is free.

Funny thing though, every time I talk to him on the phone he's rebooting.
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

erzon
  • 2005/12/27 10:51

• erzon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/1 3

hahaha maybe a boot lol

MadFish
  • 2005/12/27 12:17

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
It's allways a good idea to finish your website as much as possible before you go for a paid webhost. You can either develope it locally or choose a free webservice, but it's sometimes very difficult to find one that is not a hoax.

I don't agree with you on this. Quality web hosting with access to a responsive human helpdesk starts from *$1US per month*. If you build several small sites you can often host them on the one account - so the cost is even lower. Dealing with free webhosts just isn't worth the headache.

Suggest you try 3ix.org. They have a free trial offer so you can test the water (or finish your site :)

Happy new year.

Bananadude
  • 2006/1/3 21:50

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

blah blah blah .. *bananadude is singing a song because of all the complaining*
I neverever said that you must to go for a free host, and the case as the one above about spyware has never happend to me or anyone elses I know about.
The reason for posting this topic was not because of discussing the credibility of free hosts, but for sharing trusty webhost that works.

Not everyone is stinn of money, yeah I know that many payhosts is cheap, but most of them do also have an establish fee. If you for example is going to develope a webpage that you use a year or so to finish it would be just silliness to pay for it before it's finished.

Anyway, there is trusty free webhosts out there, if you use it for a personal website, for developing/whatever that will be up to them who choose that, it's not everyone who wanna pay for a webhosts and it's difficult to find free trusty webhosts - that was the only reason for posting this topic.
If you don't like free hosts or don't want to give them a try, then don't do it either, theres no one who says what you have to do.

It's true that you can't expect everything with a free webhost, but many don't want everything either, and it's not only 10 year old kids talking about their dolls who choose free hosting.

I don't want to start a "fight", it was just for helping, but sorry then..

Best Regards
Bananadude

Bender
  • 2006/1/3 22:00

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Hmmm no reason to be sorry at all bananadude.

How about you change the subject of your initial post to something about "pro and con of free webhosting" and let this on go with this discussion.

Open a new thread with the initial posting and additionally a link to this pro and con thread for those who want to discuss and clearly state in the new one to stay on topic (just listings). I will try to protect that thread from getting of its purpose then. (drop me a pm if it does and i dont see it)

Thats if you donĀ“t want to be sorry and give up on this. Deal?

Generally spoken i do believe free webhosting does have a reason to exist and some companies provide a good offer there since it is (believe it or not) a legitimate way to attract customers once their site grows.
And for beginners, small family homepages and people just want to play around a bit to see if this is something they like its very well worth it.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits