gumleaf
Criticism Needed for new site!
  • 2005/12/16 12:37

• gumleaf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/27

Hi
My site is only a few months old .. I was using PhpNuke and MyBB Forum but got fed up with it .. especially the search function and a few other things. Then I discovered XOOPS! Perfect! (well almost).

I had to transfer my members and forum posts over by hand (could'nt find a convertor) but I've only got about 30 members so far so it was'nt such a hassle .. couple of days!!

Just opened it "for business" today! .. closed down the old site.

Its an Info and forum site for expats and visitors to Thailand.

It's basically finished .. just have to finish transfering the rest of the Information content, maps etc over from the old site.

I have a "Sister Site" called "Thaiglish" a Thai language Tutor site .. have'nt finished it yet. I'ts not "XOOPS" .. just html/php .. but I have made it look identical to the XOOPS site. There is a link to it in the nav bar on top.

WARNING .. The "Night Life" section of the forum may contain some "Mature" content. The rest of it is pretty tame.

Link is in my Signature below.

luciano
Re: Criticism Needed for new site!
  • 2005/12/16 15:07

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

Not bad... except for the boob job onhttp://www.thaiexpat.org/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=10! My friend Jeff (from the wellnesskliniek), a famous aesthetic surgeon overhere would say "godverdomme ze hebben daar precies nen hoop gazetten ingestoken!" (curse + it looks like they filled them up with newspapers)... hope it's not your wife.

panigrc
  • 2005/12/16 15:50

• panigrc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/14

Chaotic site ! I mean you have to tidy up a little your theme.
The menu is huge. Try to make a navbar with some nice images to make the site easy to navigate. Allso to much information at the main page.
If the visitor wants realy to see something it hasn't to be right in front of him.
Also i see a lot of advertisemets. Try to incorporate them into articles and not directly to front page. Sorry for that but when I see those sites I think that are junk and try only to get easy money.
If you want to make some money from advertisements, write articles take videos and present them on your site.
For example you could write about what you can find with the Thai search engine (benefits)
Or write about thai night life and there have advertisements of bars clubs.
Write about hobbys in thai and advertise local sports.
Write a newsletter with new events.
etc...

With content you could earn some money for sure.
[size=xx-small]X-Park Greek Pc Modding Community
Official Greek Support at XoopsGreece.gr[/size]

gumleaf
  • 2005/12/17 8:39

• gumleaf

• Just popping in

Ok .. thanks for that. You're right about the ads .. I've cleaned it up a bit .. reduced image sizes .. still have a bit more to do though!

gumleaf
  • 2005/12/21 11:19

• gumleaf

• Just popping in

Ok .. all done (except content) heeded criticism .. what do you guys think now? .. I was thinking of making several different "Welcome Blocks" and change them through admin every couple of weeks or so. The first one at the moment was a 10 minute job .. so I'll fix that soon.

Goober
  • 2005/12/21 12:51

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

I like it - but more important, it appears your members are enjoying it!

I see activity through out your site and isnt that what you have the site for?

Given the above, I would say you've done well!
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

billyvision

cool site:

content: 7/10
speed: 6/10
theme: 7/10

overall : 7/10

dunkin
  • 2006/1/4 7:49

• dunkin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/15

I love what you did with the ebay auctions page. I sometimes sell on ebay and would love to know how you set that up!
Dunkin
My Site -Http://www.hippyspace.com

cmagana
  • 2006/1/4 10:48

• cmagana

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/8

Quote:

luciano wrote:
Not bad... except for the boob job onhttp://www.thaiexpat.org/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=10! My

uhhh what a pic!

gumleaf
  • 2006/1/4 12:46

• gumleaf

• Just popping in

Quote:

dunkin wrote:
I love what you did with the ebay auctions page. I sometimes sell on ebay and would love to know how you set that up!

I just made a custom module with html content as described here in FAQ.

https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=280

Then inserted a html table with an iframe containing the url of my ebay home page. .. i.e

<iframe SRC="http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=thai_expat" width="105%" height="2500"
framespacing=0 frameborder=no border=0 scrolling=no</iframe>

Plus a few other cells containing the google ad etc.

You could also just use a stand alone php page with the XOOPS header and footer wrapped around the html (also in FAQ)

The only problem is after the iframe has finished loading .. everything else stops .. that is .. the footer does'nt load.

The header and left column does because they load before the iframe.

I've been meaning to post a query about that .. but I have'nt worried about missing the footer on just one page.

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits