brash
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/13 2:34

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

There are points of view here that are NEVER going to be resolved or agreed upon through this thread discussion. To all of you who are so discontent with the way XOOPS is being run, I see you as having three choices;

1) Quit XOOPS and use another CMS.

2) If you want something done, get off your lazy butts and do it yourself instead of making demands on other peoples free time that are trying to do something.

3) Get over it and stop the whining. I can guarantee 99.99% of the XOOPS community think you are acting like spanners and wish you would just go away.

If David does end up leaving the XOOPS team, then that will make it three people who have made large contributions to the XOOPS community that I know of that have left as a direct result of the manner/attitude in which LB talks to people! When will it be enough!?! Attitudes such as LB and Damaster have been displaying in this thread are what is ripping this community apart, as NOBODY is going to want to contribute as an XOOPS team member as it seems like this makes them an automatic target for coping an earful of abuse by these people (for lack of a better word) in doing so!

This discussion does not need to be abusive, but almost every time LB gets involved that is inevitably how it ends up. This thread needs to change tune FAST or be CLOSED!!
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

Mamba
  • 2005/12/13 3:03

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
To all of you who are so discontent with the way XOOPS is being run, I see you as having three choices;

1) Quit XOOPS and use another CMS.

2) If you want something done, get off your lazy butts and do it yourself instead of making demands on other peoples free time that are trying to do something.

3) Get over it and stop the whining. I can guarantee 99.99% of the XOOPS community think you are acting like spanners and wish you would just go away.

There is also a 4th alternative: start communicating in a professional manner with each other, instead of accusing each other and getting defensive.

There is no need for David to leave. There will be always somebody who is not happy or satisfied, and while LB could benefit from being less negative, David need a "thicker skin"

Come on, guys, XOOPS is not a country run by some dictatorial government, so therefore there should be always room for different opinions, as long as they are expressed with respect and in professional manner. Shooting back and escalating doesn't help either.

So let's try to focus on the tasks, find out what would be the priorities, and then start working on them. It seems like News, Documentation, and Themes would be a good start.

I definitely appreciate Monty's comments about being only two-men team, and about him being sick. But those things should be communicated in advance, or as soon as it is possible. If somebody doesn't have time for next couple of weeks/months - let's try to find somebody, or at least let the others know, so the expectations are set correctly. Otherwise you have to justify after the fact, and it's always harder.

Let's try to work as a community!!!! We all can only benefit from it.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mamba
  • 2005/12/13 3:05

• Mamba

David,

nobody asked you to leave!!!! Come on! You need a thicker skin
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mamba
  • 2005/12/13 3:12

• Mamba

Quote:
news team is not dead..

Monty, this is great to hear!!!

It would be great if we could get feedback from other teams about their status quo, i.e. what is happening, what they've been working on, etc.

If a team is dead, we need to look for new people and reestablish it. And we need to communicate back to the community about the status. Every team leader should understand that this is one of their responsibilities as a team leader - to provide updates about progress. Otherwise why would you have a team?

Could we all try to focus on what could we do for XOOPS? Didn't somebody said it already: "Don't ask what the country can do for you, but ask what you can do for the country"?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Bender
  • 2005/12/13 3:23

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:
Come on, guys, XOOPS is not a country run by some dictatorial government, so therefore there should be always room for different opinions, as long as they are expressed with respect and in professional manner. Shooting back and escalating doesn't help either. So let's try to focus on the tasks, find out what would be the priorities, and then start working on them.

Thanks Mamba for speaking it out again.

People please watch your language and the way you are talking. Agression will lead nowhere.

I am quite resistent against closing this thread since there is at least some partly usefull discussion going on and after all it would just continue on another thread even if we did.

So just keep it constructive. I´d have some words of my own but i need some sleep first.

Thanks and good night. Where ever you are.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

aharon
  • 2005/12/13 3:25

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/17

I think that beyond the screaming and shouting in this thread, there are some positive points which could be taken to make XOOPS a better system, and the XOOPS community to operate more cooperatively.

During the time I have been visiting here, over a year now, I have been helped more than been helping - and I am grateful for that.
I have not noticed a way by which I could be more of an assistance to people and the project as a whole, and this, in part, is my own failure. However, I suspect that others might have similar kind of reflex, namely, "Hummm.. I can not do php to save my life - there's not much that I can do..."

I like xoops, and generally, I like the people who frequent this site. It seems for me that the project will benefit from a doze of transparency in the way of development and the ability of users to contribute.

This, I feel, is something I could contribute to happily.. If such transparency could assist in reducing the shouts and amount of posts in thread like this one - it might be worth while...
Question is, where is the door to offer skills and ideas to..?

Best wishes,

Aharon

damaster
  • 2005/12/13 3:37

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Hey Brash, you understand that some people words are honest and reflect the truth facts, but that's not all - do you know that the founder of XOOPS left!? As many other good developers, designers, etc... What do you have to say if you still refusing to see what is going on!? And you claim to guarantee what you don't know!? Man, you're really to far from the truth but you're not so far from Jason, ask him to come back and explain it to you.

Mamba, I will be glad to report what happened to the Team of XOOPS Theme Forge and the work we have done before the horses die.

I know, it's sad to see an horse dying, or any other form of life, but it's thus... again... to born!
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

alitan
  • 2005/12/13 4:21

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

OH my god! These talks are all up again!
Guys come one, we have the same discussion every month! Finish this!
Guys instead of arguing here about this old stuff, lets put some effort to solve the problems! To begin with, we need to recall members for teams re-arrangements. Also I have seen the new logo,I think its good to make it public now! we need to do that right away to save the community from collapsing!
Anybody intrested in helping out with the THEMES team, PM me immediately. THanks in advance!
Alitan{{<<>>}
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

Mamba
  • 2005/12/13 4:31

• Mamba

Hi Alitan,

Quote:
Anybody intrested in helping out with the THEMES team, PM me immediately. THanks in advance!

Now, that's the spirit I like!!!

I hope, other will follow the lead and start other projects/teams, or join existing ones, to make things happen here!

Count me on the Themes team. I am not an expert, but I'll try to help.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

JMorris
  • 2005/12/13 4:59

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

First, an apology.

I still stand behind what I said earlier in this thread, but I do apologize for how I said it. I let my frustration get the best of me and that was wrong. I apologize.

Now, to the situation at hand....

@LB & Damaster,

You both have some good points, but the way you present theme makes them hard to digest. You will have a much easier time getting your point accross if you temper your criticism with a touch of tact.

@ Those providing constructive criticism tempered with tact... THANK YOU!

IMHO, this discussion has gone on too far as it is. I feel that the main points of this discussion are in serious jepordy of being lost due to the bickering. Furthermore, this discussion has completely deviated from the original topic, which was a comparision of XOOPS and Joomla. It is for these reasons that I am locking this topic.

Now, the best thing we can do at this point, as a community, is filter out all the junk in this thread and summarize the feedback and suggestions as clearly and concisely as we posibly can. I will start a new thread for this, but with a caution. If the new thread turns into a bickering match, it will be locked as well. Constructive critisism is welcome. Endless bickering is not!

If you wish to participate in a constructive discussion of the major points brought up in this thread, please see the following thread...

Link: Suggestions for improvement
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits