Phatbloke
Coppermine Photo Gallery Version 1.4.2 Stable
  • 2005/12/8 9:56

• Phatbloke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/22

Hello

If you are looking for a photo gallery for XOOPS i firstly say you cannot go past coppermine. Its well worth a try. The first thing to note as it is a standalone package rather than an integrated module but uses a bridging module in coppermine to integrate the user accounts from xoops. I have been following the project since they released the 1.4 beta version with XOOPS support after i was dissapointed with xcgal (which is actually a coppermine version 1 port to xoops) never being updated. As this is a whole new package it does take a little getting used to and configuring although all is relatively simple.
The only major downfall I see at the moment is the application of templates. This is unfortunately a manual task from which I had to create my self. I am happy to give tips for anyone willing to try as I have mine working great for me including permissions etc.
That aside this gallery is feature packed. You can have passworded galleries, hidden galleries viewable to chosen XOOPS groups, comments, ratings, videos, automatic thumbnails (with imagemagic or other software installed on the server), slide shows, rotation of the images and so much more.
Adding images to the site is the main draw card in my mine. If anyone has noticed the option "publish these images to web" inside windows xp and not known what it means read on. If you select a folder, individual or multiple images from you computer and click this it begins the process to upload them to your site. First you log in then select the album to upload to or create a new one. Then you select the image size and your done. Windows resizes the images before it uploads them to make the process faster. Once complete you just pop into your site and edit the captions if you wish. That simple, alternatively you can upload to a folder via ftp then use the batch upload function to add the files to the albums and create thumbnails. Of course there is still the normal upload page to add any amount of images you choose.
I think these are the major features anyway. All I can say is give it a try. Install it to a separate folder on your site and test it out. As always read the documentation first, the process is simple but things can go wrong. I have had no problems what so ever.
For more info and to download look here

http://coppermine-gallery.net/

If you have any questions or problems I'm more than happy to help

Goober
Re: Coppermine Photo Gallery Version 1.4.2 Stable
  • 2005/12/8 13:11

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

Quote:
The first thing to note as it is a standalone package rather than an integrated module but uses a bridging module in coppermine to integrate the user accounts from xoops.

Where the hell have I been? That's great news!! I didn't know they had a bridge!

Thanks so much for the info - off to d/l it and give it a try.
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

Peekay
  • 2005/12/8 15:57

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
...uses a bridging module in coppermine to integrate the user accounts from xoops

How integrated?. I mean, does XOOPS login give you access to the gallery, or do you have to log in to Coppermine separately?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Phatbloke
  • 2005/12/8 16:48

• Phatbloke

• Just popping in

If your logged into XOOPS your logged into coppermine including permissions. So webmaster gets all the admin tools and basic users can do only what you allow them ie add comments or what ever you set. The only thing not integrated is the themes.

sebastjan
  • 2005/12/8 17:11

• sebastjan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/10

Do I have to copy some script into some gallery folder? Because it gives me an error when I try to bridge them together.

The error is
XOOPS path checkScript is not inside XOOPS_ROOT_PATH and cannot run.

Peekay
  • 2005/12/8 17:13

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx Phatbloke. I imagine modifying a Coppermine template to compliment a XOOPS theme is a bit of a chore, but worth it if a gallery is to be a central component of a site. I'm guessing you also benefit from being able to use the stand-alone security patches and updates from Coppermine?.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Phatbloke
  • 2005/12/8 18:09

• Phatbloke

• Just popping in

Quote:

sebastjan wrote:
Do I have to copy some script into some gallery folder? Because it gives me an error when I try to bridge them together.

The error is
XOOPS path checkScript is not inside XOOPS_ROOT_PATH and cannot run.

I'm guessing you put the gallery in {xoops}/modules/{gallery folder} right?
Xoops checks for invalid modules so it wont work in there. Shift it to something like {xoops}/photogallery/ thats where i have mine. As long as it isnt in the module folder i think it should be ok.

Peekay
Umm I'm not sure although i think if XOOPS security could be comprimised you could get into coppermine although not in the reverse as coppermine just uses existing cookies from XOOPS rather than going into the database etc. Don't quote me on that one though

sebastjan
  • 2005/12/9 8:07

• sebastjan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/10

Jap, that did it. But coppermine still isn't quite satisfied with users list. It knows who is connected but when I click on Users List I get Database error. Well I gues that is not that important because the connection works for primari function (logons).

How do you include the path to gallery in Xoops, through custom block or is there some other way?

Phatbloke
  • 2005/12/9 11:32

• Phatbloke

• Just popping in

The user error is because the users are to be managed from within xoops. You can only use that area from within coppermine as a standalone app.
If you selected 'post based groups' in the bridge manager your groups page will have all the individual groups as set up in XOOPS and permissions for uploading and in albums can be set for them.

So for the path you have to put it into you template manually or else use a menu module like many available in the navigation section of the modules page
https://xoops.org/modules/repository/viewcat.php?cid=62

fosterm
  • 2005/12/12 16:45

• fosterm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/7 2

Hi all :)

Something I am not quite clear on. Is the bridge a seperate piece of software, or is it included in the 1.4.2 stable package?

I am getting an error upon initial installation attempt

Quote:
ERROR
You seem to be trying to install the standalone Coppermine into your Nuke portal.
This version can only be used as standalone!
Some server setups might display this warning even though you don't have a nuke portal installed - if this is the case for you, continue with the install. If you are using a nuke portal, you might want to take a look into CpgNuke or use one of the (unsupported) coppermine ports - do not continue!

I ignored this error and entered my database information on the next page. I was then redirected to the above error page again.

Thanks for your help

foz

Login

Who's Online

176 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 176

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits