hanif
Cache question
  • 2005/12/10 19:28

• hanif

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/12

Hi everyone,
I have been using XOOPS 2.0.7 for more than a year now.

My site keeps crashing when I get a good link from sites that bring lots of visitors. The server cannot handle it.

Apparently, if I activate the cache for the various modules (such as news, articles, stats ...) that would help, as it would lessen the number of processes the system has to do, thus easing pressure on the RAM.

What I wanted to know was this:

If I have put cache to update once every hour and then add new content to the site faster than once every hour, will the new site content replace the old cache with the new cache automatically before the hour is up or will the cache not automatically update until the next hour?

Basically, I want to know if I activate cache would it mean that the site's viwers would see an older version of the site until cache is cleared out, or whether the cache always holds the latest version of the site.

I would appreciate help from anyone who thinks they know a thing or two about this cache business, since I don't seem to know enough, and I don't want to harm my site by turning cache on when I shouldn't.

Thanx!
Han

Bananadude
Re: Cache question
  • 2005/12/10 22:10

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/16

You can safely turn on cache.
The specific module will not update it's content until the period is over.
If you have to get some content updated right away, you can always clear the content of your cache-folder.

You shouldnt use cache, or at least not for a long time-period on content that is often updated like poll, shoutbox etc. as it may confuse your visitors when their contribution wont show up, and they then may try to post it again and again.

Play around with cache, it wont bite you can always stop modules or blocks from cacheing if you dont like it.

Here is an simple guide for modulecacheing (by WolfFactory) :
- Real time interactivity (Chat modules) -> No Cache
- High user interactivity (Forums) -> No Cache / 30 seconds
- Medium user interactity (Downloads, Links, Members, News) -> 1 minute / 5 minutes / 30 minutes / 1 hour (not more, a submission, shouldn't be ignored more than one hour)
- Low user interactivity (Contact us, Partners, Headlines) -> 1 hour / 1 day
- No user interactivity (Sections, FAQ, Disclaimer) -> 3 days / 1 week

You can find more info here
http://www.wolfpackclan.com/wolfactory/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=7

Best Regards,
Bananadude
--- censored by Bananadude ---

hanif
  • 2005/12/12 12:27

• hanif

• Just popping in

Thanks for the advise Bananadude.

I will try to set the modules caches like the example table.

Han

hanif
  • 2005/12/13 11:45

• hanif

• Just popping in

I turned on cache and took a apache benchmark of the hoempage. It hasns't changed significantly since the benchmark when Cache was off. I am using XOOPS 2.0.7.1. Does anyone know whether cache works properly on this version?

jdseymour

Yes, it works. Make sure files are being created in the cache folder. But lots of security fixes (and some major ones) since 2.0.7.1, I would suggest upgrading to the latest 2.0x version, 2.0.13.2.

Login

Who's Online

114 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 114

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits