silvrhand
XOOPS dying?
  • 2005/11/28 19:44

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

First off,

This is not a shot at developers or anyone involved with XOOPS, I'm just hoping that it's not dying a slow death and want to find out.

Just from recent browsing of the forums and looking through the CVS log it looks as is almost no work is being done on XOOPS core at this time. After the big announcement I was hoping that things would pick up and people would post things going on, what's being worked on, maybe a blog or two..

No such luck...

Am I the only one feeling like this, things are released with wrong module versions, poor changelogs (no listing of files changed), things just seem a mess.

Am I wrong, or am I just missing something?

Herko
Re: XOOPS dying?
  • 2005/11/28 20:03

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

XOOPS isn't dying November usually is a very busy time for people, so we're taking it a small step slower then usual. But we'll have some announcements to make soon about development, but also about other things related to the xoops.org project. Good news I can't say much more as I don't even know what all the news will be.

But at least I can say XOOPS isn't dying

Hope that helps a bit...

Herko

silvrhand
  • 2005/11/28 20:08

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

Well,

A few more details would be nice, even if you don't know them all, seems like there is a disconnect in what's going on behind the scenes to the user.

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
XOOPS isn't dying November usually is a very busy time for people, so we're taking it a small step slower then usual. But we'll have some announcements to make soon about development, but also about other things related to the xoops.org project. Good news I can't say much more as I don't even know what all the news will be.

But at least I can say XOOPS isn't dying

Hope that helps a bit...

Herko

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/8 17:48

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

Herko,

Is this the right CVS link, I'm curious as if a lot of work is going on, I see nothing in the dev forums, nothing in the CVS log from what is linked as the CVS information from the front page.

This is what concerns me about XOOPS seeming to not be going anywhere in the last couple months.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xoops/xoops2/

davidl2
  • 2005/12/8 19:01

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Work is progressing very well from what I've seen.

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/8 20:19

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

Is that the CVS server, if not how are we supposed to help as testing/support of what's being worked on?

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Work is progressing very well from what I've seen.

Marco
  • 2005/12/8 21:30

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

I can confirm activity is quite high on code.
thanks to skalpa
marco
Do synergy or die.

Arowana
  • 2005/12/8 23:03

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/8/6 2

I think everyone here has a great point.

First I dont think XOOPS is dying!

Second I believe November and December are peoples busy months out of the year with their personal life.

Third, I think it is good to get more people to try and solve their own problems and report back to the XOOPS site rather then keep posting how do I fix this.

Fourth, as with XOOPS from what I have seen in my last year or so here when it is quiet then the code is stable. If there is a lot of posting of core bugs it picks up.

A while back I posted pretty much a gripe post how too many people not answering questions and everyone just looking for the freebies. I have thought about it and maybe this was a good thing. No one to give you that freebie so you found a way to get the job done. No one to fix your site for free so you used the SEARCH feature and you found your answer. I know it has made me a better XOOPSter by having to find my own fixes and trying to share those findings with all of you. I really want to say thank you to Dave_L who was there for me when I had a core question and he answered it right on the money and within a few hours. I also want to say thank you to Mith as you are one of the hearts and souls of this great programming. You also have been there for me to help me and at the time I may not have thanked you but deep down I was.

Finally, thank you to anyone that has taken the time to help the little guy. To help him understand how this works. Thank you to all the little guys that stick around and know the answer to the next little guys questions and has taken the time to help them out.

That is what this site is all about, slow, fast, doesnt matter as quality is always above all!

Ask not what XOOPS can do for you, but what can YOU do for XOOPS!

Best Wishes this holiday season to all!
Goodnight
Arowana

allnewtome
  • 2005/12/8 23:51

• allnewtome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/30

Wasn't XOOPS 2.2.3 final released just after this thread started? All seems fine to me, though I have to admit that I discovered php and XOOPS less than 2 weeks ago.

The forums/FAQ's are great, just one comment (linked to Arowana's third point):

It's hard to know where to post a suggested bug-fix, or just a minor addition/alteration. I've just noticed the "Submit Module Bug" and "Submit Module Hack" but it's quite daunting for a beginner like me (and I couldn't find xfsection in the drop-down list).

Perhaps there could be a forum for beginners to share their discoveries (rather than just ask questions). All beginners probably have the same annoying problems - many will solve them without the forum but not have the confidence to "share the experience" - and many probably won't solve them and will give up.

That forum could be a good learning experience, and maybe encourage more people eventually to get involved in development proper.

Hope that makes some sense

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits