Lilinallte
Hosting XOOPS-site locally...
  • 2005/12/5 18:58

• Lilinallte

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/5

Hi,

I'm running my own webserver, with (until now) a simple HTML-website under IIS. To access that website from 'inside' my LAN, I need to connect to the internal IP-address of the server it is on.

From 'outside', through the internet, I connect through the registered url.

That has never been a problem, until now:)

For testing reasons, I have setup a XOOPS-site under my main site. The main-site is accessible internal and externally, without problems. The XOOPS-site however is only reachable from the LAN OR through the internet...

Maybe I'm missing something, but, in the 'mainfile.php' one has to put the external IP or official url to make the XOOPS-site reachable from the outside. This poses a problem, for if I want to reach it from inside my LAN, I have to enter the internal IP into the mainfile.php

Is there any way around this, so I can reach the site from both internal as external locations???

[EDIT]: My network is a LAN, connected to the Internet via a broadband router/modem. The router/modem does NAT to and from the outside...

Cheers in advance,
Lilinallte

carlos1426
Re: Hosting XOOPS-site locally...
  • 2005/12/5 19:38

• carlos1426

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/18

Hi.
I'm not sure to understand you, but it seems to me you have a DNS problem.

If you assign a valid (and DNS registered) url yo your main site, all below this there could be accesible (with a valid url in the address bar).

As far as in a LAN, an external address is resolved via DNS query to DNS servers, if your local PCs can't reach your main site (when you assign an url in mainfile.php) it's due to a DNS error.

By other side, you can try to add an entry to <hosts> (or <lmhosts>) file to point to your local server.

In a LAN to solve an address, first of all, windows looks at <host> file to find a "direct" assigned IP - server name.

Lilinallte
Re: Hosting XOOPS-site locally...
  • 2005/12/5 20:39

• Lilinallte

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/5

Cheers:) Too simple to be true, but yes, that works... Never thought about using the hosts file:)

Tnx again...

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (175 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits