jaysin
Controlling Forum access
  • 2005/11/25 7:10

• jaysin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/25

I'm going to be setting up a guild website, and I'd like to have a bit more control over the forums.

At the time, it seems it's going to be a bit un-wieldly to add each individual guild member to our many private forums in order to differentiate them from a registered non-guild user.

I basically need 2 forum categories
public
guild

and 2 sub-categories in the guild only section
guild members
officers

Is there any easy way to make this work in Xoops?

Is there any way to set a global rank of registered "guild member" or "guild officer" as opposed to just registered user? I basically want another level of control in the rank that will be recognized by XOOPS and all it's modules.

bluenova
Re: Controlling Forum access

Yea, just create a new group called 'guild member' and in the forum settings allow 'guild member' access but not anon and registered. I'm thinking you are using NewBB 1 as I think that is the only one that allows you to add indervidual members to private forums. Time to upgrade to NewBB 2 or even better CBB.

jaysin
  • 2005/11/25 8:26

• jaysin

• Just popping in

I have the groups "officers" and "guildmembers" already setup, but the only options in the forum settings to control access are:

anon
registered
admin

it doesn't seem like the forum recognizes my custom created groups.

bluenova

Which forum are you using?

jaysin
  • 2005/11/25 8:41

• jaysin

• Just popping in

forum 1

the one that was included in the latest XOOPS package.

but I have also tried newbb2 and that also didn't have the options that I needed.

bluenova

NewBB2 and CBB have the options, NewBB1 does not. The options are under the 'forums' tab you can set the 'Global Access Level' for each forum and then the specific permissions for each group like read/write/view/edit/delete etc

bluenova

Click on the link in my sig and check out CBB (NewBB has the same settings)

jdseymour

Quote:

jaysin wrote:
forum 1

the one that was included in the latest XOOPS package.

but I have also tried newbb2 and that also didn't have the options that I needed.

See these two flash tutorials for setting access and view permissions in newbb2/CBB.

Category Creation Tutorial

and

Forum Creation Tutorial.

The methods are the same for newbb2 and CBB as CBB is actually a continuation in development of newbb2. Your custom groups will be listed in the shown permissions, just set the desired permissions to those groups only. (remember to leave the users as still members of the registered user group. This way the custom groups are just used for added permissions.)

HTH.

jaysin
  • 2005/11/25 9:08

• jaysin

• Just popping in

thank you so much!

Login

Who's Online

447 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 447

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits